Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello sorry if this has been said before I’m new to the forum only got the bike 3 weeks ago and since after a few days of owning it I’ve been having starting issues.

So when I come out to the bike in the mornings it doesn’t want to start but seems ok on hot starts though. To get it to start the only way I’ve found is if I put it into gear and rock it on the gears then back to neutral and it starts but sometimes it’ll take a good 10min of trying to get it going.

started by changing the battery for a new one which didn’t help, then changed the starter relay which also didn’t help. Then have also changed the starter motor as was thinking it was getting jammed and still doesn’t seem to help.
Battery is holding 12.5+volts but when trying to start sometimes I get a turn over then clunk and sometimes I just get the clunk.

many help would be appreciated as running out of ideas! Thanks in advance
Steve

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello sorry if this has been said before I’m new to the forum only got the bike 3 weeks ago and since after a few days of owning it I’ve been having starting issues.

So when I come out to the bike in the mornings it doesn’t want to start but seems ok on hot starts though. To get it to start the only way I’ve found is if I put it into gear and rock it on the gears then back to neutral and it starts but sometimes it’ll take a good 10min of trying to get it going.

started by changing the battery for a new one which didn’t help, then changed the starter relay which also didn’t help. Then have also changed the starter motor as was thinking it was getting jammed and still doesn’t seem to help.
Battery is holding 12.5+volts but when trying to start sometimes I get a turn over then clunk and sometimes I just get the clunk.

Steve
I want to say the regulator because those are so common to fail, but it doesn't really sound like that because you are saying it works fine when it is warmed up. Just to rule it out though, I would check. Just test your battery voltage while your bike is running and see if it is stable and high enough to be charging your battery. Maye it is not electrical though. Have you tried just giving the bike an oil change? Maybe it has some gunky oil in there and when it is cold has too high of a viscosity to turn over? That would explain why when it is hot or if you rock it around and get things moving it starts fine. Have you changed the oil since you got the bike? That would be a simple fix and wouldn't hurt to do anyway.

·
Registered
14 Posts

Steve
Also, I don't know which generation you have, but if it is a 1st gen carbureted model, you need to use the choke when it is cold. I usually put mine halfway on and let it warm up until the rpm jumps up, then pull it down and ride when I am able to put it completely off and it idles. I know it is common knowledge, but you said you just got the bike and I am not sure if you know how to use a carb. I just got my bike a couple months ago and I have never owned anything with a carburetor before that, so I had a learning curve as well. Just throwing ideas out there and hopefully you can get it figured out. If it runs fine when warmed up though, I would bet it is the oil just being gunky and needing a change.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts