Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 SV650 and I cannot get it to start. It ran and idled with no problem about a week ago. I let it sit for about 2 days and now it cranks over and act like it wants to start but will not start. I have verified that it is getting spark, it has compression, it gets air. I have checked the plugs and they were fouled out so I cleaned them. After doing that I rechecked the plugs and they are clean with no signs of getting gas now. The bike back fired a few times while trying to start it up. I have also replaced all the fuel lines and verified that the vacuum pump is working all the way to the carbs. So gas is getting to the carbs. The carbs appear to be clean and were rebuilt about 2 months ago and the bike ran fine at that time.

It does crank and the battery is fully charged. With no load the battery is at around 12.5v and while cranking it goes to about 10.5v.
I checked the throttle position sensor on the carbs and it is operating correctly. I checked the Pulse Generator: To ground it is open, to each pin inside the connector it is shorted. With the Pulse Generator disconnected it cranks the same as with it connected.

I have tested the clutch switch, the run stop switch, and the kick stand switch and they appear to be good.

I am not sure where to go next to troubleshoot this. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
447 Posts
You need spark and gas to run. You are getting spark so make sure that you are getting gas. Is there gas in the tank? Is the vacuum petcock flowing gas? I would look there. Also, since your plug was fouled it may not be firing well under compresion. Worth replacing those with new in my opinion.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Second that^

·
Registered
850 Posts
How fast does it crank? Try jumping it straight to the starter with a car battery (car not running) It'll crank over very quickly and may start easier. If you can get it to start this way it's a starting place for your investigation.

Is the choke working properly? Sometimes the plungers can seize in the carb, but you should notice the switch being hard/not working properly.

+1 on new plugs, they're cheap. After you cleaned them, did you re-gap them?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It cranks pretty fast, the choke does not appear to be stuck (the lever moves smoothly).

I plan to replace the spark plugs this weekend. Yes I did regap them.

The tank is full, the vacuum petcock flows gas all the way to the carbs.

One thing I was told to check was the pilot jets, they tend to gum up even after a carb cleaning unless you really focus on washing them out.

I appreciate the help and I will update the problem this weekend again. Again thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just wanted to update the problem. I took out the front plug and cranked it several times and it spit out alot of gas, problem one - flooded front cylinder. Next I put new plugs in the bike and it fired right up and runs really good now. Problem number two - even with spark the plugs were not working good, replaced.

I wanted to thank everyone for their help and advice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Having the same kind of trouble with mine. Will just replace the plugs and see if that resolves my issue. They have 20K on them, so that would be a good place to start.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts