Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought my '01 sv650s about a month ago. No known problems and rode it solid for about 2 1/2 weeks when, I think, the battery was dead. I jumped it from my car and it ran fine for about 2 more weeks.

Been riding it to work (about 15 miles one way) on just about a daily basis, took it out for lunch last week and I was running low on gas. I wanted to see how many miles I was getting on a tank, well ends up that is around 103! haha Anyways, I pulled up to a stop light knowing my gas was low, but the light wasn't on. I go to take off on the green light and the bike sputters and dies quickly.

I put about a gallon in, go to start the bike and NOTHING! Kill switch is OFF, Clutch engaged, lights and gauges come on; but when I press the electric start, there's NOTHING. No clicking, no humming, nothing that I can hear.

HELP!!

·
Premium Member
3,098 Posts
with a first gen i would start looking into the R/R. cant comment on specifics(i have a second gen), but know its a common problem.

103 miles on a tank of gas? seems really low. was it full? dont think this was an issue with the starting problem, unless you ran it that dry.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Midwestern - That's what I've been thinking too. Did some calling around and talked to a guy that just randomly told me to stay away from Interstate batteries, that they are trouble. Turns out mine is an Interstate - I don't know about that being the problem, but shouldn't rule it out. What is a multi-meter?

@Mattman, where is the R/R located and what does it look like? I'm fairly new to motorcycles but have worked on cars for a long time. I'm not afraid to get in there, but the insides are different! :( Also, 103 miles seems REALLY low? The thing is, I'm not sure the bike died because of running out of gas or an electrical problem. Like I said, the gas light was NOT on when the bike died - so that leads me to believe the battery isn't being charged...

COMMENTS?

·
Premium Member
3,098 Posts
the regulator/rectifier is under the stator cover on the left side of the motor. thats about all i can comment on what it looks like/where it is.

i can say, however, that theres plenty of info on it on the forum. member with a handle of d'ecosse had a fix for it, possibly a thread explaining everything, but i cant find it right this second.

i cant say much more because i dont have the first gen, which it's more common on. never had to deal with this problem, but like i said, i know it's common on the first gen for that part to go bad.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
@Midwestern - That's what I've been thinking too. Did some calling around and talked to a guy that just randomly told me to stay away from Interstate batteries, that they are trouble. Turns out mine is an Interstate - I don't know about that being the problem, but shouldn't rule it out. What is a multi-meter?

@Mattman, where is the R/R located and what does it look like? I'm fairly new to motorcycles but have worked on cars for a long time. I'm not afraid to get in there, but the insides are different! :( Also, 103 miles seems REALLY low? The thing is, I'm not sure the bike died because of running out of gas or an electrical problem. Like I said, the gas light was NOT on when the bike died - so that leads me to believe the battery isn't being charged...

COMMENTS?
I ran my SV out of gas once... It went 199 miles on a full tank of gas.

Typically, I could go around 140-150 miles before the fuel light would come on.

If it isn't cranking over then it's not a fuel problem. I'd start with your battery and go from there. Have you put a multimeter on the battery yet? Check it at rest and while cranking.

·
Registered
126 Posts

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
The R/R is not located behind the stator cover on the left side of the engine. The stator, pulse(signal) generator and rotor are located there. The R/R is located behind the right side rear body panel. If you have the seat off and are looking down at your battery, the R/R is on the other side of the subframe, right side, somewhat in line with the beginning of the passenger seat. You have to remove the body panel to expose. If you do have a multimeter you can test the voltage for various conditions. It's okay to jump a bike battery with a car battery, as long as the car is not running.

At rest, a fully charged battery should register 12.5-13VDC. While idling, at least in the mid to high 13V. At 5Krpm, the reading should be 13.5-15V, metered at the battery. Make sure the battery cables are tight on the battery as well.

Take a look at this link for the location of the R/R. First photo shows the body panel off with the finned R/R in the middle of the pic to the right of the brake mc. http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111850

·
Registered
151 Posts
Could just be a bad battery, even new ones start giving problems once they go dead. I had similar issues on a different bike and ended up being just that, a bad battery.

Sent from my EVO using Motorcycle.com App

·
Premium Member
3,098 Posts
The R/R is not located behind the stator cover on the left side of the engine. The stator, pulse(signal) generator and rotor are located there. The R/R is located behind the right side rear body panel. If you have the seat off and are looking down at your battery, the R/R is on the other side of the subframe, right side, somewhat in line with the beginning of the passenger seat. You have to remove the body panel to expose.
did not know this.. learn something new everyday i guess :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone! I was looking at the battery tonight, searched the battery online and can't find anywhere that this battery is supposed to be used for this bike. Could this be part of the problem?

·
Registered
151 Posts
If I were u I would go ahead and replace that battery, if not for any other reason but to just to rule it out. If the problem persists then I would continue the diagnostics.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
the regulator/rectifier is under the stator cover on the left side of the motor. thats about all i can comment on what it looks like/where it is.

i can say, however, that theres plenty of info on it on the forum. member with a handle of d'ecosse had a fix for it, possibly a thread explaining everything, but i cant find it right this second.

i cant say much more because i dont have the first gen, which it's more common on. never had to deal with this problem, but like i said, i know it's common on the first gen for that part to go bad.
I finally got some time to spend on the bike last night, I started going through everything that I've been reading on here. Started with the easy stuff, sure enough it was a blown ignition fuse! So glad it was something easy! Frustrating part is that whoever had the bike for some time did a lot of rewiring to it, so fuses are on the opposite side, R/R is resting on the battery, etc.

Just felt good to get back on and RIDE! Thanks again for your help!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Fuses don't blow on their own, you oughtta find out where a short is and fix it, or end up in the same position some time down the road. Especially if u said the previous owner went to town on the wiring. That or carry extra fuses just in case, but the former would be the ideal approach.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts