Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a.2002 sv650. Its been starting fine for last month. Then in the past few days it began having problems. It turns over fine, sounds like it did before when it was starting anyways. But it doesn't want to start. So far its happened twice in the past 3 days. Where should I start?

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
Check the simple things first. Make sure all connectors are secure, such as those on the coils, plug caps, sidestand switch and neutral switch, battery cables. The best time to test is when the bike won't start. You will not learn anything when the bike starts. When it doesn't start, pull the rear plug and test for spark. If you have spark, then look into fuel flow from the petcock to the fuel pump. You can disconnect the hose to the pump from the petcock and insert into a jar and crank the motor. When the bike won't start, by pulling the rear plug you will be able to see if the plug is wet with fuel or not as well. Does the neutral light come on when you turn the ignition on? Does it matter if the sidestand is up or down in neutral?

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
You need motorcycle specific oil, not car oil. You should be able to start the bike on the sidestand with the gearbox in neutral with the clutch lever pulled in. You should also be able to start the bike in gear with the sidestand up, clutch lever pulled in. Something is not right with the sidestand switch if you can't start the bike in neutral with the stand down. Check the connector at the stand switch.

Just so you know, the oil in your SV engine is circulated through the engine and also the clutch(wet clutch), gearbox and even some where the generator stator coil is. For a car, the engine oil is separate from the transmission and clutch if standard, so different properties exist for motorcycle oil and for car and truck oil. Car oil contains friction modifiers which you don't want to use with a wet clutch. There are motorcycles that do separate the oil like for a car such as BMW boxers, but not for your SV engine.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
I doubt it's the low oil. As you stated, the SV takes 10W-40. There are many oil threads on the forum as to what oil brand to use. You can search for Rotella brand and read about it or use any mc oil that your local dealer/shop sells. They usually carry a number of brands. You can use full synthetic or regular grade oil. The arguments for using one oil over another can be debated for years. Some buy simply by pricing. Personally, I used regular oil in my SV, Silkolene and even Suzuki's own brand when I couldn't find the other. Just change your oil and filter and check the level regularly and it won't matter what brand you use.

I believe those who buy Texaco Rotella oil buy the T6. It's a very affordable oil which many seem to like. I've never used it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Just in case you didn't know you check oil level buy placing the bike up right then look at the window and it should be between the lines. When it is on the side stand you should see no oil on the oil window.

Sent from my SGH-I777

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks savi, i made that mistake.....also... im trying really hard to not sound completely incompetent....but when i shook the bike it had fuel in it.... i had a filled tank full of gass then drove 140, but could here fuel shakin around, then it didnt start. so i put a bit in, and it fired right up....but it wasnt completely empty? do i just have to keep her filled?

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
Depending how fast and aggressive you ride, those numbers are feasible. Best to keep track of your mileage on one of the trip meters and do the math each time you fill up to determine your actual mpg. Your fuel light on the dash has two settings. It will blink on and off when there is maybe less than a gal left. It will stay on, with less than that. I ran out of gas at 175miles once. My light would flash anywhere from 115-155 miles depending how hard I was riding. The bike shouldn't stall with a gal left in the tank or less. Maybe your filter screen inside the tank is getting clogged. You may notice a difference in performance when the fuel level gets very low, a sign to fill up.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well today it took a minute to start, finally got it, then drove 2 miles to get gas to see if that helped any. when I tried to start it up it took like 5 minutes to start. Im going to check the plugs today, I'll probably just buy new ones on the way home anyways and replace them.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts