Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I put the Ultrabatt lithium battery out of my gen 2 race bike in the new Gen 3 and it just makes the starter relay click. My Auto electrician friend reckons the Gen 3 must have something in the ECU stops it cranking if it hasn't got enough current available. Anyone else had similar issues with Lithium batts?
The battery I have is rated at 180CCA and has performed well in the Gen 2 the last 20 months. It's never spun it over real quick as it's a V twin and they're like that apparently, but it's never not got it going.

·
Super Moderator
8,597 Posts
Your electrician friend is probably right. The gen3 SV has "Easy Start", just one touch of the starter button, the ECM takes control to start the bike. It probably looks at battery voltage and automatically disengages if below a certain threshold.

I don't know what problem they were trying to solve but I would pay to keep that "feature" off my bike.

The last thing I want on my bike is a computer between the starter button and the starter motor.

Try measure battery voltage when trying to start, what do you read?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your electrician friend is probably right. The gen3 SV has "Easy Start", just one touch of the starter button, the ECM takes control to start the bike. It probably looks at battery voltage and automatically disengages if below a certain threshold.

I don't know what problem they were trying to solve but I would pay to keep that "feature" off my bike.

The last thing I want on my bike is a computer between the starter button and the starter motor.

Try measure battery voltage when trying to start, what do you read?
Ah ha, you might be onto something there, I was trying to think what differences there could be between the two models. The batt was reading 13.2V while sitting in the bike but dropped to 12.65 when I turned the ignition on. I never got a chance to test voltage when cranking as it never cranked, just a repeated click from the starter relay.
Dam new technology, who needs such features?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have used EarthX brand lithium iron phosphate batteries for quite a few years & haven't had any issues.
EarthX recommends a 230cca battery for the Gen3 SV650s...
Here's the link;

ETX18F - EarthX Lithium Batteries - OEM LIthium Batteries for All Motor Sports
Thanks. Those batteries look like a quality item. They have a BMS (unlike Shorai) and are made in the US. 👍
I had a talk with my batt supplier and he’s giving me a 20% discount on a new battery of capacity 300CCA. It’s still weighs only 2lbs though and should have ample capacity to satisfy the needs of the Gen 3 easy start system.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Result:
I fitted a new Lithium battery of 300CCA (still only weighs 820grams) and now the issue is gone. It would appear the ECU requirements for the easy start function are quite high on this model.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts