Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first off, my bike(2002 sv650s) has been sitting outside for a couple months, getting virtually no use except i start it for a little while every few days to keep the fluids running. today when i went to start it, everything started normal, except the starting motor didnt stop after i released the starting switch. i tried throwing the kill switch, and then taking the key out of the ignition, but the starter kept running for a few seconds, then eventually stopped. after that i couldnt start it again. i havent had a chance to recheck it yet because it started raining as soon as this happened. any idea what could have caused the problem?

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
I would say that your starter relay has shorted out and needs to be replaced. Instead of burning out and causing an open circuit and not allowing power to flow to the starter motor, the contacts have welded themselves closed or something similar and allowed current to continue to the starter and then perhaps burned itself out and opened the circuit. If the contacts stay closed, the kill or ignition switch will not stop the flow of power.

You could jump the terminals on the relay, the starter should spin and start the engine. But the relay will no longer energize when hitting the start button.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that sounds pretty spot on, i went back out and tried to start it, and i can hear the relay energizing, but no motor, . and then it starts to kill the battery

1 - 3 of 3 Posts