Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
this is my first post on here and I'm wondering if anyone knows how to diagnose the problem I am having?
Here's the problem, I can start the bike but only by using a handy little screw-driver to complete the circuit at the battery.(I know I shouldn't be doing this to get it started....but well....) I started doing this because I didn't know if it was the Starter Motor failing, I guess it wasn't because the new one I swapped it with is not turning the engine over either. I then went and purchased a starter relay box....nothing! I have checked the wiring to and from the battery terminal and the relay box. I fear it might be the Stator; does anyone out there know if this might be the case? or if I should be looking elsewhere for a fault? any help would be appreciated. thanks in advance
[email protected]

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
-starter button
-clutch safety interlock

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hey again,
I did check the terminals...no corrosion or crud anywhere. I did make sure the clutch was set and the side-stand was down as well, BTW what is a clutch safety interlock? I have also taken apart the switch and made sure that it is in good working condition and wiring is in the same state.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
hey again,
I did check the terminals...no corrosion or crud anywhere. I did make sure the clutch was set and the side-stand was down as well, BTW what is a clutch safety interlock? I have also taken apart the switch and made sure that it is in good working condition and wiring is in the same state.
The clutch switch. There's a little switch in the clutch lever that tells the bike if the clutch is pulled in. It will only start if the clutch is pulled in and the switch can easily get unplugged. Very common. Even if it is not unplugged, you can unplug it yourself and jump (short) the terminals of the plug with a paper clip to see if the switch is malfunctioning.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wouldnt I know if it wasnt by shifting in and out of gears? or is it possible to not engage this and still shift through gears?

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
wouldnt I know if it wasnt by shifting in and out of gears? or is it possible to not engage this and still shift through gears?
No. the switch is basically only there to make sure you pull the clutch in when starting the bike. stop typing and go chech it ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I dont know exactly what Im looking for but I tried and saw nothing disconnected. I checked at the base of the clutch lever and the cable was connected and releasing the clutch.....I have ridden it up and down the block to keep the battery from dying on me. In the meantime I left the key in and in the on position and killed the battery! anyway I checked at the pivot point of the clutch handle, I am guessing that is where you meant for me to check, right? no luck, thanks for all the help so far though!

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
At the base of the clutch perch you should see a small wire. That wire is connected to the clutch safety switch. The switch contacts the lever between the cable and the handlebars. It's inside the perch. If you don't see a wire then you need to find it. If that wire isn't connected properly (unplug and plug back in to be sure) the starter will not engage. You can verify by plugging two ends of a paper clip into the connector at the end of the wire. Doing that bypasses the switch and the starter should engage.

Not that? Are you trying to start in gear? If so, there's another safety switch at the pivot of the kickstand. It doesn't operate when the transmission is in neutral.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
At the base of the clutch perch you should see a small wire. That wire is connected to the clutch safety switch. The switch contacts the lever between the cable and the handlebars. It's inside the perch. If you don't see a wire then you need to find it. If that wire isn't connected properly (unplug and plug back in to be sure) the starter will not engage. You can verify by plugging two ends of a paper clip into the connector at the end of the wire. Doing that bypasses the switch and the starter should engage.

Not that? Are you trying to start in gear? If so, there's another safety switch at the pivot of the kickstand. It doesn't operate when the transmission is in neutral.
Thanks for filling in the details Andy.
I would have suggested sidestand switch but I can't imagine anyone trying to jump the starter contacts with a screwdriver with the bike in gear. Of course, he might not put it into neutral until right before he tries to jump it so anything's possible.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Genius!!! unfortunately my battery died on me again last night, but I can see from dissecting the clutch lever what you guys where talking about! I see that the switch was pinched somehow and is now effectively broken thanks to my never-ending curiosity(rrrrgh) anyway I will re-charge the battery and see if that was the only cause, I'm curious though; how is it that I was shifting in and out of gears, after using my screw-driver, and didn't have any issue? is this only a redundant safety measure? or should it, as I see it in my head, affect the overall performance as well?

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Genius!!! unfortunately my battery died on me again last night, but I can see from dissecting the clutch lever what you guys where talking about! I see that the switch was pinched somehow and is now effectively broken thanks to my never-ending curiosity(rrrrgh) anyway I will re-charge the battery and see if that was the only cause, I'm curious though; how is it that I was shifting in and out of gears, after using my screw-driver, and didn't have any issue? is this only a redundant safety measure? or should it, as I see it in my head, affect the overall performance as well?
It (basically)ONLY effects the starter- not the running of the bike. You should fix it for real at some point as the switch possibly has some other functions but I can tell you for certain that you can just bypas the switch with a bit of wire and ride like that for MONTHS until you get around to fixing it.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Yep. Like he said.

The kickstand safety is in function all the time, so if you are in gear with the clutch pulled in and you put the kickstand down the engine will stop.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks again guys.I just got the part brand new from the dealer,it was only $10....not too bad. I will re-charge the battery and try again. Ill keep you updated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wooohooooo. thanks again guys! I just charged the battery and rigged the switch for now. It turned on right away! I am so grateful, I really thank you guys for the help. I hope I can help someone else out as much as you have done so far.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts