Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay,
so all my lights work and when i turn my bike on the starter will turn for like a half a second then will not even attempt to turn over again. i checked the fuse that runs from the battery cable and that is good so what might it possibly be my 02 svs has less than 4k on it

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i neglected to mention that i put a brand new battery in at the begining of the season what should i check about my ignition wiring im good with all the mechanical stuff but wiring gets intimidating

·
Registered
17 Posts
Problem I was having: With a brand new battery, I would start my bike.... it would take a good 10 seconds of attempting and wouldnt actually turn over. Eventually the battery would die out. I can't start it after that. So I decide to jump start the bike and it would start. After having ridden around after jump starting for about 30 minutes (hopefully charging the battery back up), i turn it off and it wouldn't start right after the ride.

Diagnosis: The regulator rectifier and the stater were not charging the battery. I replaced both of these parts (labor and parts =$500), and finally it would charge up the bike during the ride. I think after a while, you have to replace these parts.

Afterwards: I rode it for about a month, and then I started having the same problem as above. Exactly the same, except this time, the bike would even die out in the middle of a ride at a red light.

Diagnosis: the battery wasn't charging again. So I took it back to the shop and paid another 150 for a diagnosis and they said there was a corroded wire somewhere. So they fixed that. So its a month later, the bike starts well and charges well. Now i'm just waiting for it to mess up again. The bike is a lot more difficult to start up, but its a lot better now. It only takes about 1 second to start after pressing the starter. Before the $700 i spent, it took at least an average of 5 seconds if not 15 seconds to get the bike started. So fingers crossed, knock on wood, the bike starting/charging system is good to go.

i don't know if anyone else has had this problem, but just hopefully my problems and solutions can help anyone, or if anyone has been through this, can give me a future outlook on my bike. should i just forget it and buy a fuel injected bike so i don't have to worry about starting problems? f4i maybe.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts