Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My starter is not working properly: when I push down the electric starter all I hear is the starter motor spinning freely, it doesn't seem to be engaging the engine.

Can someone shed some light on how the starter works. I understand there is some sort of clutch that engages the starter.

Side note: I took the starter motor off last night and noticed that the gear it comes in contact with (flywheel perhaps) spins freely.

N

·
0 Posts
The starter motor drives the starter gear (through an idler gear) which turns the crank through a one-way clutch. What you're seeing is the idler gear. It should turn freely in one direction and be locked when rotated the other way.

It sounds to me like one of the two parts (idler gear or starter gear & clutch) may have failed. It's pretty easy to pull the LH engine cover and take a look inside -drain the oil first!

:)

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
The freewheel clutch is on the driven gear.  The gear should turn freely in one direction (counterclockwise as viewed from the right side of the bike).  It should turn clockwise just a small amount and then stop.  If it turns freely both directions then it's the freewheel clutch.  If not, then it could be nose gear from the starter.  Make sure it's in the right place axially, make sure the splines are good on the starter and the nose gear.  Post back with results.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies.

I do want to take off the engine cover to take a peek inside, but I'm afraid I'll fuck something up when putting it back together.

I will talk to the mechanic and relay the information back here.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts