Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
from time to time my start button will not work.  sometimes i have to press it several times before the starter will turn.  patience has been my friend as i can usually walk away from the bike and come back a few minutes later and start it fine.  has anybody else experienced this?

note:
- usually occurs after riding in the rain, but not every rain. 
- it's not the obvious: killswitch, kickstand, clutch, etc. 
- usually occurs about 1 or 2 times a month

where should i start my search for problems?  the switch itself, or should i try to override the clutch safety device/kickstand device? 

thanks.

N

·
0 Posts
Do the lights dim when you hit the starter button? I mean, is it the switch itself (lights don't dim) or the starter relay or starter (lights dim).

You might try hosing out the switch and housing with contact cleaner and a shot of WD-40.

:)

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nothing dims when you hit the switch. in fact, nothing happens at all. no clues of any sort.

i'll give the contact cleaner a shot. thanks for the tip.

N

·
0 Posts
Hey, I didn't read your original post closely enough -I thought you had already ruled out the clutch interlock. I'd bypass this guy first (connect the two wires with a paper clip) as it's a perennial POS.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Do you hear the fuel pump start up when you turn the ignition on? If it's the kickstand or shifter switches that are causing problems, then you wouldn't hear it. It's kind of an electric whine when you first turn the key.

Of course, the Real Man's solution would be to install a kickstarter. Electric starter? Bah!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I would take it apart and hardwire it to the on position. I never use mine . Just use the key to start and turn off. Learned that in the MSF course.

T

·
0 Posts
miqie said:
I would take it apart and hardwire it to the on position. I never use mine . Just use the key to start and turn off. Learned that in the MSF course.
starter button???or kill switch.

N

·
0 Posts
miqie said:
I would take it apart and hardwire it to the on position.  I never use mine .  Just use the key to start and turn off.  Learned that in the MSF course. 
MSF told you that !?! I would really think hard about that before doing it- there's a good reason for having a kill switch right under your thumb.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
nc_sv650 said:
Hey, I didn't read your original post closely enough -I thought you had already ruled out the clutch interlock. I'd bypass this guy first (connect the two wires with a paper clip) as it's a perennial POS.

Big +1 on bypassing the clutch interlock safety switch. After trailering the bike to the SW a couple years ago, I spent a good couple hours trouble-shooting a non-starting SV and this switch had come apart. Fixed that sucker right then and there and it hasn't bothered me since... ;)

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
fixed -

i disassembled the entire right hand lever electronic holder thing. at the very bottom is the starter switch- very simple - spring, 2 contacts.

i could short across the wires that were soldered to the starter switch and start the bike, so i knew the contacts were dirty. i couldn't find any contact cleaner, so i started reading labels on random fluids in my apt. i sprayed a little pb blaster on the contacts per its instructions and the bike starts fine now.

thx for all your help.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i had 2 similar probs awhile back, maybe related. first off, it could be a loose connection at your battery, thats what happened to me the first time. the second time the harness that senses the clutch is in or not was loose, push it in tighter. good luck

1 - 12 of 12 Posts