Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 01 SV650 has been slow to start lately. It started out where when I hit the start button there would be a delay before anything would happen but once it did it would start right up. At first this delay would only happen after it had been sitting out in the sun, in the mornings it would start right up. Over time the delay got longer and longer and even started happening in the morning as well. Now it's at the point where I push it and hold it down for a little bit and it does nothing. I release it and try it again and after a few times doing this it'll start up. Once it tries to start it starts up without any problems at all. I was already due for a new battery when all of this started and have since switched to a new one and that had zero effect on the problem. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Bad switch, dirty contacts.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
it's not your battery. it's probably either the side-stand switch, the clutch switch, or the starter switch itself.

·
Registered
836 Posts
ridesideways said:
it's not your battery. it's probably either the side-stand switch, the clutch switch, or the starter switch itself.
I'd say it's the clutch switch...I had the same problem...never could figure out why it would take a while to start. Then I realized that it wasn't how much I pressed the starter, it was how many times I pulled in the clutch and jostled it in its perch.

My money's on clutch safety.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Dude I totally have been having this same problem. I first thought it only did it while hot b/c of course hot wires, hot parts, hot contact points have higher resistance than cold parts but then it started doing it in the morning too. First I thought ignition switch at teh key b/c once I turned teh key back and forth then it started, then that stopped working then I pumped the clutch a few times then that stopped working then I started feeling like the damn thing was playing little games with me. I have a new battery started, clutch switch, and igniton (these items were not replced b.c of the start button delay problem but b/c the bike was stolen and hot wired and these parts were damaged). I am starting to think there is no answer to this question. If you figure anything out will you please email me. It is to a point where I get real nervous that I am going to be stranded someplace after about 15, 000 pushes of my start button.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Kevin said:
Dude I totally have been having this same problem. I first thought it only did it while hot b/c of course hot wires, hot parts, hot contact points have higher resistance than cold parts but then it started doing it in the morning too. First I thought ignition switch at teh key b/c once I turned teh key back and forth then it started, then that stopped working then I pumped the clutch a few times then that stopped working then I started feeling like the damn thing was playing little games with me. I have a new battery started, clutch switch, and igniton (these items were not replced b.c of the start button delay problem but b/c the bike was stolen and hot wired and these parts were damaged). I am starting to think there is no answer to this question. If you figure anything out will you please email me. It is to a point where I get real nervous that I am going to be stranded someplace after about 15, 000 pushes of my start button.
You need to check the starter button switch and the kickstand switch....check the clutch safety just in case. Check battery leads...check starter to make sure it's getting consistent voltage.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can't make any since of it. I played around with it just now and it seems totally random. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with the clutch or side stand position because I can hold everything perfect still (bike resting on side stand) and get different results when I repeated try starting it (just moving my right hand to toggle the engine kill and restarting it). It's also very odd because I can hold down the start and like two seconds later it'll kick in and start up. At this point I'm guessing that it's the starter switch itself. Should I find myself stranded and unable to start between now and when I finally get this fixed, isn't there a way to start the bike from a roll without using the starter? I've seen it done on a bike with a bad battery but I don't remember what they did.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I don't think you can real effectively pop start a bike by yourself but I was once with some friends ridding when my battery dropped off and using he power of ther bike to push me we started mine. It was pretty tricky. I put my bike in 2nd our 3rd rider got on his passanger seat, with his foot against my passanger foot peg we got my bike up to like 20mph popped the clutch and away we went. By yourself I think it would be real hard to do thought.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Kevin said:
I don't think you can real effectively pop start a bike by yourself but I was once with some friends ridding when my battery dropped off and using he power of ther bike to push me we started mine. It was pretty tricky. I put my bike in 2nd our 3rd rider got on his passanger seat, with his foot against my passanger foot peg we got my bike up to like 20mph popped the clutch and away we went. By yourself I think it would be real hard to do thought.
I'm trying to visualize this...and I just can't....can you explain that again? It sounds pretty crazy though... :D

My bike had a dead battery in the middle of winter...jumpstarting was a real bitch. Took two people a good 15 minutes and a lot of yelling and cursing to get her going.

Jumper cables were a wise investment....

·
Registered
500 Posts
LOL...I like to yell and cuss. Anyway, we had Nick on a Spped Tripple his buddy dave got on the back of the tripple dave stiff legged his foot behind the foot peg, at first I held on to a portion of the tripple to steady us, we got moving and Nick rode the tripple up to like 20mph, dave pushed me away from the tripple a bit when we hit 20mph, I popped the clutch in 2nd and she started right up. The back tire skidded briefly then, traction grabbed turned the engine over and it started. I should probably add that the first attempt failed b/c I forgot to have the thumb switch in the run position and it sue aint gonna state with dead spark plugs now is it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts