Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK...Ive read how do do em... and Ive done the search for more info on how to do em. and i still cant do em?
any suggestions...

I'm usually in second gear... i bounce the front end... and when it comes up i crack the throttle, it comes up a Lil bit, maybe a foot, and the it goes down...

help me please

·
Registered
153 Posts
Are you pulling up on the bars and leaning back?

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mrwoo said:
Are you pulling up on the bars and leaning back?
yes i am...is this bad?

FirstSymptom said:
You're probably gonna need to use the clutch. It's way harder to find a balance point throttling it up than clutching it up.
thats gonna feel wierd...getting the clutch just right when standing up...

G

·
Don't do first gear standups on the SV, you will loop it I guarantee it.

Get into second gear, be rolling about 30mph, give or take a few mph. Stand up, and remember to keep your feet as close to the bike as possible, use all the peg you can, if you have your feet hanging off the pegs you will snap them and wreck, it sucks, trust me.

So you are going 30mph, you are standing up, now you need to cut off the throttle, push down on the bike, and right when the bike bottoms out and it cant go any lower...then you snap open the throttle and bounce at the same time.

Play around with it for a while, find your sweet spot on how fast you want to go. I like to pull them at 30 on an SV, and about 45 on a 600 I4. That is bouncing a wheelie.

I really like clutching a ton better. It's way easier to do, and you have a much wider speed to do wheelies from.

And as always, start SMALL when you try standups. Don't give it 3/4 of a snap on the first try, go with just a bit, then a bit more, and keep doing that till you hit balance point.

G

·
Clutching in second gear is very simple but nerve wracking when you are first learning it, you will get pissed off and want to kick every homeless person you see...I know I did.:)

Anyhow, you can clutch a wheelie in second gear from about 20-30mph, thats whats easiest for me. Get the SV going about 25mph, and then using ONE finger squeeze the clutch in about 1/4 of an inch past your friction zone, then let out the clutch and twist the throttle at the same time. Give it minimal throttle at first, remember you are on a vtwin and the torque really sneaks up on you fast.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Definately use your clutch when your doing wheelies. Practice using your clutch in first sitting down and practice that first. Next move up to second standing up. I put one foot on the break peg and the other on the back peg and get it up no problem. After that try third. This is a hard gear to pull it up on.... You have to yank back sooo hard, but it gets up and that gear rides forever and is alot of fun.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i can do 1st and second gear wheelies just fine. so if figured i would broaden my horizons and try stand up's.

kraxter...i am doing what u say.. but its not working. guess i just need more pratice

·
Registered
564 Posts
How are you even doing siting ones? I am in 2nd geer, I am going about 25 mph, I squeeze the clutch in just past the friction zone, Rev it up to like 8 grand and let the cluch fly...I can get it to pop up a few inches but nothing after that. I am leaning back as far as i can and pulling up. I only weigh 135 lbs...Does it have any effect?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Having never attempted a standup i know nothing about them. As far as sitting down in 2nd gear at about 20mph i finger the clutch and give it about 9500rpms, it pops up right where i like it and i can ride it out a lil ways, i havent gotten to try hittin third yet. You guys are right though, your balance point is further back than i had imagined.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Kax...perhaps you could give me some advise about my ninja.

I've tried sitting power wheelies in 2nd by bouncing the throttle at around 9K and the front end doesn't come up immediately...it comes up like a second or two later off of sheer acceleration. It definitely seems like it would come up off of the sudden weight transfer rather than accel...but perhaps I'm used to a twin's powerband which doesn't develop past 10K.

I refuse to try power wheelies in first on a SS...it's a recipe for disaster.

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
I havent done one in awhile, hell, I dont think I've pulled a standup this year at all. I did a few first gear standups and quickly realized how dangerous that is, like Kax said. It comes up fricken fast, thats all. Second gear worked much better. I can't do them on command though, its not something I've really practiced much. Did it a few times, and that was pretty much it.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
DO NOT YANK ON THE HANDLE BARS

if you yank theres a very good chance u pull one side more than the other, you come down crooked and then your fuked, bounce with it, go with it, dont force it

even tho i can't do these yet, these are some things ive learned NOT TO DO

G

·
Ben,

When you are powering a wheelie in second on a 636 you want to be going about 45mph. Get all the way back on the seat, bounce down on the forks while snapping the throttle down, then snap the throttle back. You have to give it quite a bit of throttle to get it up, and once it gets off the ground you got to keep rolling on the throttle.

I really think you would be muuuuch better off clutching in second gear. The wheelies come up way smoother, way more controled, and the kawi clutches are bullet proof, you wont burn it out easily.

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
Kaxter said:
Don't do first gear standups on the SV, you will loop it I guarantee it.
Ok first off thats not true, I pull 1st gear wheelies all the time....
You just gotta be careful not to crack it to hard, the bike has plenty of torque w/o outting all that wear and tear on your clutch.
If you do come up to fast or its to fast for you just tap the rear brake and boom bike comes down.
Once you find your balance point just shift into second, then into third.
I am no wheelie expert, but I do know that you will NOT loop the bike if you are careful.
Hell you could loop a bike in second, by giving it to much when you dump the clutch.

Just my $0.02

Woody

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Woody106 said:
Ok first off thats not true, I pull 1st gear wheelies all the time....
You just gotta be careful not to crack it to hard, the bike has plenty of torque w/o outting all that wear and tear on your clutch.
If you do come up to fast or its to fast for you just tap the rear brake and boom bike comes down.
Once you find your balance point just shift into second, then into third.
I am no wheelie expert, but I do know that you will NOT loop the bike if you are careful.
Hell you could loop a bike in second, by giving it to much when you dump the clutch.
ah, dude.... you got the 1000, lil different then the 650

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
Not so true, you can still power the 650 up in 1st.
The 650 may not have as much torque as the 1000 but it does have enough.
You may have to bounce it, but definitely not clutch it.
However my true point was that 1st does not mean that u will loop it.
Yes I have a 1000, yes it has more torque, yes i do 1st gear wheelies, no I dont loop my bike.

Woody

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Kax was talking about stand-ups and bouncing it. Those come up ALOT faster on the 'lil six fitty, compared to sit downs. No its not guaranteed to loop, but for someone unfamiliar with wheelies (original poster) and the standup procedure, its going to catch them off guard whether they like it or not.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts