Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

New to the site and a new bike rider. I own a 2009 K9 SV650S. It has a Danmoto Exhaust, Power Commander V.

The problem i am having is that the bike stalls sometimes when i downshift. The Clutch is still held in. Mostly it happens when changing from 3rd gear to 2nd.

Engine idle is around 1200rpm.

Any ideas what could it be? Clutch cable? gear not fully engaging?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Most downshifts involve a quick pull on the clutch to make the shift, blip the throttle then release the clutch so you're not coasting. Trying to picture what situation would make it advisable to downshift from 3-2 then not release the clutch?

Anyway....you might check to be sure the clutch safety switch is still in place and operational. Some people think it can be bypassed but it does affect the injection pulse width and can help prevent stalling when the clutch is pulled.

You only have 500 km on the bike!!?? If so....that one's been doing a whole lot of sitting around....which isn't good for the fuel tank. Any rust evident inside the filler neck by chance? There could be a fuel pressure issue in play that also could contribute to stalling. And...the possibility that the PC-V is not tuned right or having a problem. Best to check the simple things first then work your way to the more complicated.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for you reply. It only happens sometimes so its hard to know what i am doing wrong. Will try to eliminate the potential causes one by one.

About the clutch switch, where is this located?

Sorry, thought this forum asked how many km traveled on the bike yourself. haha the bike has 37000km but I have only done 500km on it.

PCV could be an issue. looking to remove the map on the bike and going for a spin to see if the problem still occurs. Very difficult to find a map for the bike and i dont know much about creating a new map.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Oh...OK! 37K km means it should have had several maintenance services done....which are routinely ignored by many owners particularly when they have it in their mind to sell shortly.

The valve clearances need to be checked and are a potential cause of low speed instability causing stalling. The sparkplugs are supposed to be pulled and cleaned/inspected or replaced every 10K km or so.....which is another thing that could be causing your problem. Happily both of the maintenance checks are within a DIY'ers ability (hopefully).

The clutch safety switch is at the base of the lever. Two prong plug and when you pull the clutch you should hear a faint 'click' as the micro-switch closes. If the bike needs the clutch lever pulled to start....the switch is working. But....if you can start it without touching the lever...the switch has been eliminated and is another thing that could cause stalling. Don't worry....the SV's are like a small anvil once you get them sorted.:)

Edit: Wanted to add that the PC's need their idle position set (I think...don't have one but have read about them) If the idle position is incorrectly set the PC could be causing some problems. And being that your bike is a K9 the idle speed is computer controlled and there's the chance that the wrong PC has been installed which could be mucking things up.

Do you have an O2 sensor? It'll be in the crossover pipe under the bike and many people remove these when installing the PC's.....which again can cause issues if not properly done.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Appreciate the reply. :)

Sorry for the Noob question, what are valve clearances? where to check them? Ill have a look for the 02 sensor. Will also inspect the spark plugs to see what condition they are in.

The clutch does need to be pulled in to start the bike so i guess the switch is still present.

Yeah, the PC could be a likely issue.

For example, yesterday, i drove the bike, 3rd gear, throttle off, pulled in the clutch, no gear change and the bike kept coasting and didnt stall.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I too get the same issue as Darealjoker, it only happens on the odd down shift from 3d - 2nd. I've changed the plugs with the correct gap and carried out a full service. When it happens it sounds like a starter motor spin. Clutch is all fine as well, I've a 2004 K3 sv650s.

Puzzled isn't the word. any other areas I could check.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi, I too get the same issue as Darealjoker, it only happens on the odd down shift from 3d - 2nd. I've changed the plugs with the correct gap and carried out a full service. When it happens it sounds like a starter motor spin. Clutch is all fine as well, I've a 2004 K3 sv650s.

Puzzled isn't the word. any other areas I could check.

Sorry to hear that you have the issue too. Didn't hear the starter motor spin noise but will look out for it. Have you an aftermarket exhaust put on? Power commander?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The clutch safety switch is at the base of the lever. Two prong plug and when you pull the clutch you should hear a faint 'click' as the micro-switch closes. If the bike needs the clutch lever pulled to start....the switch is working. But....if you can start it without touching the lever...the switch has been eliminated and is another thing that could cause stalling.
UPDATE: Checked the bike, the clutch safety switch has been eliminated. It has been bridged. Bike does turn on without holding in the clutch. What would happen if i reconnect the switch?

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
UPDATE: Checked the bike, the clutch safety switch has been eliminated. It has been bridged. Bike does turn on without holding in the clutch. What would happen if i reconnect the switch?
The fuel injection is programmed to change the fuel delivery when the switch is activated. This helps prevent stalling....so there's really no good reason to have it not functional.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Appreciate the reply. :)

Sorry for the Noob question, what are valve clearances? where to check them? Ill have a look for the 02 sensor. Will also inspect the spark plugs to see what condition they are in.

The clutch does need to be pulled in to start the bike so i guess the switch is still present.

Yeah, the PC could be a likely issue.

For example, yesterday, i drove the bike, 3rd gear, throttle off, pulled in the clutch, no gear change and the bike kept coasting and didnt stall.
Best thing would be to get the service manual and read through it. They did a fine job of explaining every component and what it does, how it works and how to check and adjust it/them. Being new to the bike there is a LOT to learn about it....but don't worry it's actually a very simple and well thought out bike that is pretty easy to DIY and not a nightmare like some other brands I won't mention (Ducati...cough, cough):)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The fuel injection is programmed to change the fuel delivery when the switch is activated. This helps prevent stalling....so there's really no good reason to have it not functional.
I see, I will reconnect and see what happens. I believe the map had been modified as seen in the pic below, to accommodate the elimination of the safety switch as fuel was added 0% & 2% throttle. i have reset these now.

Also there is a O2 sensor on the pipe.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Best thing would be to get the service manual and read through it. They did a fine job of explaining every component and what it does, how it works and how to check and adjust it/them. Being new to the bike there is a LOT to learn about it....but don't worry it's actually a very simple and well thought out bike that is pretty easy to DIY and not a nightmare like some other brands I won't mention (Ducati...cough, cough):)
Yes, i am gonna grab hold of a manual and figure it out :)

Would you know where i could buy a clutch switch in case mine is faulty?

·
Registered
2000 SV650 N
1,076 Posts
Hey Para, Darealjoker has not been on the forums since 2018, so I would not expect a reply.

·
Registered
2000 SV650 N
1,076 Posts
I'm sure recoilrob will probably respond to your other new post regarding the stalling issue. He's knowledgeable about this stuff. But you posted it less than an hour ago. Give it some time.

Meantime, here's what Rob had to say in 2018:
Sounds like the tripped clutch switch could be the culprit.

Reactions: RecoilRob and Para

·
Super Moderator
9,313 Posts
Yes. A bypassed clutch switch on the gen2 SV (2007+ years only) will cause stalling. Especially in long coast-down situations like exiting a freeway.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts