Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 03 SV650S often stalls out almost immediately after starting the first time, the 2nd time I usually hold the throttle open a bit and it runs fine after it's been up for 2-3 seconds. Is this normal or should I play with the idle screw (or does it mean something else entirely is wrong)?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I just bought my bike last monday and I have the same problem. It will shut off every now and then but only around start up time. It was idling at around 1k so I adjusted that and I think that helped a little. I'm pretty sure the bike hadn't been ran in awhile when I bought it so hopefully it'll get better. The oil light also came on and the display said "FI". Anyone know what that means? I just did an oil change yesterday and I think I put a little too much oil in. The thing is it didn't do this all day yesterday when I rode it but I go to start it today and it's there. Also it'll come and go as well like my start up problem so yea..... I'm a little frustrated.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I actually can't remember how long it's been going on, but I'd say almost since I bought it. I've owned it since Oct 2003 (bought new). It never stalls out except on startup, never when just idling at any other time. It's true I wasn't using the bike that much (after my accident I rode very rarely, but riding is so damn fun that I plan on riding a lot more now). It is cold but I'm not sure if it still happens during warm weather, my gut is that yes it does.

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Lionel said:
I just bought my bike last monday and I have the same problem.  It will shut off every now and then but only around start up time.  It was idling at around 1k so I adjusted that and I think that helped a little.  I'm pretty sure the bike hadn't been ran in awhile when I bought it so hopefully it'll get better.  The oil light also came on and the display said "FI".  Anyone know what that means?  I just did an oil change yesterday and I think I put a little too much oil in.  The thing is it didn't do this all day yesterday when I rode it but I go to start it today and it's there.  Also it'll come and go as well like my start up problem so yea..... I'm a little frustrated.
Yeah dude get that checked out. Oil and FI light can be serious booboos.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I've had this happen a few times as well. The first time was after not riding it for 3 weeks...then maybe once or twice after that randomly. I noticed that the second time it happened was when it was cold out (35 maybe) so it might have something to do with a cold start.

·
Registered
7,586 Posts
Mine only happens recently during the bitter cold when I start it just keep the fluids moving.

Lionel and Woozer, if you're bikes are still under warranty, just take it back. They tend to put on new parts sometimes.

Especially take it back if your FI light comes on. Is it just a blip when you turn it on or it STAYS on?

I'd take it back to the dealer.

·
Registered
67 Posts
enrico vespa said:
Mine only happens recently during the bitter cold when I start it just keep the fluids moving.

Lionel and Woozer, if you're bikes are still under warranty, just take it back. They tend to put on new parts sometimes.

Especially take it back if your FI light comes on. Is it just a blip when you turn it on or it STAYS on?

I'd take it back to the dealer.
I bought mine from a private seller and I'm sure its not under warranty. What happened yesterday was really weird. I started and ran it after I drained a little bit of oil out and it ran fine, then the oil and FI lights came on. I rode it around the neighborhood with those lights and it seemed to run fine. I got back to the house and turned it off for a minute, started it back up, and went around the neighborhood again. This time on start up the oil light was gone. ???

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What's the standard warrenty length on an 03 SVS? I have my Suz Service Card and sales receipt and everything, but can't find any warranty papers.

·
Registered
67 Posts
My stalling problems have disappeared since adjusting the idle.

Now after doing some research on the FI light it appears that my tip-over sensor could have been tampered with. I really don't know what it looks like so if someone can see it in one of these pics, please point it out to me. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
evilbologna said:
Its on the frontside of the battery box me thinks.
correct (tip over sensor). It does not need to be reset or anything after tipping over, and needs no maintenance unless it has been tampered with. I have no idea why anyone would tamper with it? If something is wrong with the tip over sensor, my guess is the bike would just shut itself off (which is what the tip over sensor does when the bike is tipped over).

Wozzer said:
What's the standard warrenty length on an 03 SVS? I have my Suz Service Card and sales receipt and everything, but can't find any warranty papers.
one year from purchase date. unlimited mileage.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Mine's done that since the day I bought it. The fast idle doesn't kick in on the first try, it only works after the second 'attempt'.

I've never worried about it, it works fine regardless. It's done 6000 miles, been through two accidents and one complete rebuild, all without a hitch.

So I suggest you save trouble, time, and money and don't worry about it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
TestaStretta said:
Mine's done that since the day I bought it. The fast idle doesn't kick in on the first try, it only works after the second 'attempt'.

I've never worried about it, it works fine regardless. It's done 6000 miles, been through two accidents and one complete rebuild, all without a hitch.

So I suggest you save trouble, time, and money and don't worry about it.

That's *exactly* what mine seems to do. I wonder if it means something is mis-calibrated somewhere or it means that the starter motor is weak or something? Any ideas?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
AvidSV650Rider said:
Maybe you guys totally missed my post. Sync your throttle bodies and adjust your idle and the problem should go away.
Whoops I did miss that, sorry. Guess I'll go dig up that service manual and figure out exactly how you go about syncing those things, sounds like something you could just do visually? We'll see, thanks!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts