• Never Heard Of Him

Votes: 32 33.3%
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who rides with a pendant in any form?

I am Catholic but not hugely religious. I have a St Christopher pendant my father gave me for confirmation. I always carry it in an inside pocket of whatever jacket I use when I'm riding and usually forget it's there I've heard of jackets with them sewn into the lining somewhere. (Icon and others). So who else has one?

For those who don't know St. Christopher is the patron saint of travellers and many motorcyclists throught the years have carried some form of his image.

For those who have never heard of it:

The Golden Legend - The Life of Saint Christopher
Christopher was a Canaanite 12 cubits (18 ft) tall and with a fearsome face. While serving the king of Canaan, he took it into his head to go and serve the greatest king there was. He went to the king who was reputed to be the greatest, but one day he saw the king cross himself at the mention of the devil. On thus learning that the king feared the devil, he departed to look for the devil. He came across a band of marauders, one of whom declared himself to be the devil, so Christopher decided to serve him. But when he saw his new master avoid a wayside cross and found out that the devil feared Christ, he left him and enquired from people where to find Christ. He met a hermit who instructed him in the Christian faith. Christopher asked him how he could serve Christ. When the hermit suggested fasting and prayer, Christopher replied that he was unable to perform that service. The hermit then suggested that because of his size and strength Christopher could serve Christ by assisting people to cross a dangerous river, where many were perishing in the attempt. The hermit promised that this service would be pleasing to Christ.

After Christopher had performed this service for some time, a little child asked him to take him across the river. During the crossing, the river became swollen and the child seemed as heavy as lead, so much that Christopher could scarcely carry him and found himself in great difficulty. When he finally reached the other side, he said to the child: "You have put me in the greatest danger. I do not think the whole world could have been as heavy on my shoulders as you were." The child replied: "You had on your shoulders not only the whole world but him who made it. I am Christ your king, whom you are serving by this work." The child then vanished.

Christopher later visited the city of Lycia and there comforted the Christians who were being martyred. Brought before the local king, he refused to sacrifice to the pagan gods. The king tried to win him by riches and by sending two beautiful women to tempt him. Christopher converted the women to Christianity, as he had already converted thousands in the city. The king ordered him to be killed. Various attempts failed, but finally Christopher was decapitated.

·
Registered
7,586 Posts
I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery; Do not have any other gods before me. You shall not make for yourself an idol, whether in the form of anything that is in heaven above, or that is on the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I the Lord your God am a jealous God, punishing children for the iniquity of parents, to the third and the fourth generation of those who reject me, but showing steadfast love to the thousandth generation of those who love me and keep my commandments.

·
Registered
437 Posts
You mean Mr. Christopher?

According to Wikipedia....

While the Roman Catholic Church still approves devotion to him, listing him in the Roman Martyrology among the saints venerated on 25 July, it removed his feast day from the Roman Catholic calendar of saints in 1969. At that time the church declared that this commemoration was not of Roman tradition, in view of the relatively late date (about 1550) and limited manner in which it was accepted into the Roman calendar.

I wear a "Rune" all the time......does that count?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I don't worship idols, nor do I pray to dead mean and women to "intercede" on my behalf.
Same here.

I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery; Do not have any other gods before me. You shall not make for yourself an idol, whether in the form of anything that is in heaven above, or that is on the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I the Lord your God am a jealous God, punishing children for the iniquity of parents, to the third and the fourth generation of those who reject me, but showing steadfast love to the thousandth generation of those who love me and keep my commandments.

And that's why I'm absolutely not a Catholic.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ya when I made this, its not so much about religion as it is about superstitions. Many people have some sort of "lucky charm", lucky rabbits foot, certain ways of doing things etc. It's that aspect I find interesting.

Do I think the hand of St. Christopher is preventing a semi from pulling out of a blind alley in front of me? Rationally no. But in my heart, who knows? It sure can't hurt.

Like the old saying goes. "There are no Atheists in Foxholes". When the **** hits the fan a lot of people suddenly find faith they never thought they had.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
In the Air Force we liked the enemy in those holes, saves us having to bury them later. ;D

·
Registered
287 Posts
Ride ICON.
:D

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Didn't say I put it there, didn't even really want it there, but it's in the pocket-kinda hidden. I'm also afraid that if I pull it out, the seam on the pocket will start to fray.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts