Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently my rear brake has been squeaking when coming to a stop. Where exactly should I oil it to stop this. Also should I just use good ole WD40 or some multipurpose oil. I just want to make sure im not compromising the brakes in anyway. Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ummm, ya shouldn't put oil on your brakes. brakes use friction to stop you + oil stops friction = BAD news.

probably your pads or rotor are glazed, try taking some sandpaper and scuffing them up to take the glaze off. Another thing you might try is get going at a pretty good speed and hit the rear brake as hard as you can without skidding. The heat will sometimes burn off the glaze.

·
site supporter
6,095 Posts
Noise is not a problem with brake; it's a diagnostic tool.  How old are your rear pads?  Noise may simply indicate you've worn the pads down to replacement thinness.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea I wasnt planning on oiling up my rear brake.... ::). The pads are stock from the bikes conception, ha. It has just over 9000 miles on it now and it just recently started. So punching the brake or living with it seems to be the best ideas assuming the pads are in decent shape? It only squeaks from about 10mph down when stopping if that makes a difference. Ill prob run with it for a while and see if it disappears. Thanks again.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I just fixed the same problem. I deglazed the pads and added a little anti-squeal to the back of the pad. No more squeal. Of course, this is assuming your pads are in good shape.

Dryer said:
Yea I wasnt planning on oiling up my rear brake.... ::).  The pads are stock from the bikes conception, ha.  It has just over 9000 miles on it now and it just recently started.  So punching the brake or living with it seems to be the best ideas assuming the pads are in decent shape?  It only squeaks from about 10mph down when stopping if that makes a difference.  Ill prob run with it for a while and see if it disappears.  Thanks again.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Get some disk brake anti-squeal paste from the local auto parts store. It comes in a packet sort of like fast food ketchup. It costs about 99 cents. Pull the pads and put a bit of paste on the backing plates where they make contact with the caliper and piston. Spray the rotor and pad friction surfaces with brake cleaner, like BraKleen. This will stop the squeal. Glazing is rare on rear brakes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts