Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when I used my rear brake it makes a squeaking sound....But it doesn't do it all the time....and is mostly when I'm going slow. like 15-20 miles per hour...The brakes are in good condition...what is it?

·
Registered
854 Posts
My understanding is that the caliper vibrates in the housing and against the pad when braking, producing that nice high pitch squeal. The easiest solution is to buy a small tube of brake anti-squeal paste from any auto parts store. I think mine was $3-4.

Go home, take out the rear brake pads, clean 'em with brake/contact cleaner, and apply the paste to the back of the pads. Let it dry (per the directions) and reinstall, no more squeal.

·
Registered
9,562 Posts
wd40 will get rid of the squeak. ;)

·
Registered
301 Posts
i was going to do what kjkrow recommended. I've used the stuff on car pads and it works. I just never got around to doing it on my bike.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Just used the anti-squeal paste on my brakes this past weekend. Worked liked a charm and only took about 10 minutes.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
how hard is to removed the brakes? lol not motorcycle friendly here

·
Registered
9,562 Posts
two bolts.

Sometimes they can be a biiitch to get off.

·
Registered
61 Posts
That's funny, mine have been doing the same, I'm just hopeing it'll go away.

·
Registered
358 Posts
That's funny, mine have been doing the same, I'm just hopeing it'll go away.
It won't. It might go away for a few days, but it'll come back. It'll taunt you.

My bike does the same thing and it's been pissing me off since it started. It's not a small squeak, either, it's loud. I'll have to check on the paste. I saw the paste at the local auto store a while ago but didn't get it because my last bike pretty much required you to remove the rear wheel in order to (comfortably) get the pads out.

I found this page when trying to see how to take out the pads on the SV:

http://www.bluepoof.com/motorcycles/howto/svs_rear_brake_pads/

That's all you've got to do to get the pads out on a second gen?

·
Registered
97 Posts
how hard is to removed the brakes? lol not motorcycle friendly here
Really easy, I figured out how to take them apart in about 20 minutes. The part that slipped me up was taking off the plastic cover, didn't know it came off.

That blueproof guide looks great, thanks for posting it. I've got to put the new brake pads on this Friday and reading that helped.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Crap, I've got a naked second gen. I just got off lunch and took a look at my bike, my rear brakes look completely different. They're on top and I don't see any plastic cover to remove. In fact, they kinda look like the ones on my Ninja (I only did a quick glance, I could be wrong) which require either removing the tire or the caliper itself. Here's the instructions for the Ninja.

Not that I wouldn't mind taking the bike apart if needed, but this is my only mode of transportation at the moment and if I screw something up I'm hosed... :p

·
Registered
854 Posts
I can't help you directly with the second gen, but I woudl be surprised if you have to take the wheel off. You probaby have to take the caliper off, should be 2 bolts or so, and then remove the pads. If you don't have one, check out a Haynes manual for more information on everything related to your bike. They are well worth the 30 bucks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts