Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

squeak from front end

5K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  NDspd 
#1 ·
I've got a bit of a squeak coming from the front end of my bike. It only happens when I am accelerating, and I can only hear it from about 5 to 50 km/h. It stops as soon as let off the gas, or pull in the clutch. It's not a constant sound, it is a shorter sound that happens over and over again. Squeak, squeak, squeak, etc.

Any ideas as to what it could be?

#3 ·
Evan, I have the exact same noise on my '01 naked. No idea what it is, though, so I'll be watching this thread for sure.

Oh ... and it's always nice to see another Evan. Having the same problem with his motorcycle.

And Trick ... my squeak rate does not appear to increase as I accelerate.

#5 ·
check a possible intake air leak. That will also make a squeek sound on accel

#6 ·
I saw on here one time someone who used a jack to get his front end up, and then two jack stands under the frame sliders to hold it up. Is that a recommended method to get the front end up, and if so, what should I put the jack under while I do the raising?

#8 ·
Ok, so did anyone with this squeak determine the cause? Mine does the same thing. EXACTLY as described. I'm 99% sure it is NOT related to the brakes though the sound is similar in nature (a metallic squeaking). Initially I'd thought I could be hearing the chain squeak as it came over the front sprocket, but a good cleaning and fresh coat of chain wax and it still does it.

On a similar note, for those of you with the squeak, what chain lube are you using? Just wondering if the wax could actually be causing it ... mainly because I'm running out of ideas on what else it could be!

#10 ·
I'm reposting my solution to this problem since I had searched around and hadn't found the answer. A similar thread can be found here:
http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?p=2327753#post2327753

---------------------------------------
I had the same symptoms - I have a salvaged SV650 with 10k miles on it that I recently took ownership of. It was squeaking during acceleration & the sound seemed pretty consistent with the RPMs of the bike (as opposed to the speed of the wheels/chain). Hard to tell where it was coming from, but definitely from the frontish area of the bike. It seemed to get a little louder when going over bumps.

So last night I cleaned and greased the chain (which was very dirty and starting to become a red rust color), and I opened the airbox which has a small gap around the grommet of the front snorkel and a screw that was completely backed out on the rear-most screw hole. I moved the rubber grommet to fill the gap on the snorked and tightened all the screws down.

I just rode the bike this morning and the squeaking is gone. If I had more time I would have done each of the above in turn to pinpoint the cause. But due to the sound matching the RPMs, I'm betting it was the airbox that was sucking in air on acceleration underneath the air filter through that rear weak point in the seal.

Hope this helps someone that does the same search I did :rimshot:

Shady

#11 · (Edited)
My squeak sounds more like a squeal coming from the front. It gets really loud and shrill even if the bike is off. Anything speed above 10mph and it disappears, but you push the bike around the garage (engine off) or you stop and go at an intersection (engine on) it gets super annoying. Any ideas what's causing this or how to fix it?

It's more of a rubber on metal sound, I've had rotors squeal on my truck before and this sounds totally different.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.