Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Bike started squeaking yesterday on my drive to work. I cant tell where it is coming from. It sounds like a metal on metal squeak, not a vibration or chatter. It is speed sensitive, starts at 60 km/h and gets louder as you speed up.(Didn't try going over 95). It does not change with twists, turns, bumps, accel, decel, clutch in/out, or coast.
My only guess is wheel bearing or front sprocket bearing, but i've never heard a bearing squeak when they are worn only growl.
Any help would be appreciated.
Bike is '05 SV650S
Also, not brake related, pulled/cleaned and lubed brakes last night. Same squeak this morning on way home from work.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, sure its not brakes. Only changes with speed. Put bike on stands and checked wheel bearings with stethoscope - quiet.

Actually thinking its my chain. It appears to have a section stretched. I can pull it tight around rear sprocket and still have play in middle.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the all input, I dropped it at the shop this morning for new chain and sprockets. I hope that fixes it, if not they were due anyway. Priced doing it myself but the tool was going to cost more than the labour.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just got bike back with new chain and sprockets. (rear sprocket was back ordered).
Bike still squeaks. Not as constant, but same as before. Totally speed related.

Check/lube the speedo sensor rotor.

How does one Check/lube the speedo sensor rotor? I'm guessing remove front axle and the sensor comes apart? What would be the proper lube? die-electric grease?

·
Registered
118 Posts
I had a problem on my older honda with the speedo making noise. It mostly occurred when it was colder out and started at about 45mph. But mine sounded like a train whistle and got loud as sh*t. Replacing the speedo cable didn't fix it. Had to take apart the instrument to lube it. Being new to sv's I can only reccomend a way to eliminate this as being the problem. If you disconnect the speedo cable at the wheel and test run it and the noise is still there then the speedo being the problem in eliminated. If the noise is not present you may have located the problem.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Just got bike back with new chain and sprockets. (rear sprocket was back ordered).
How does one Check/lube the speedo sensor rotor? I'm guessing remove front axle and the sensor comes apart? What would be the proper lube? die-electric grease?
Yeah, take the axle out and the sensor is a snail-shaped add-on that sits between the fork and wheel. Use an automotive grease like this.

The rotor slots into the wheel, sensor houses the rotor, and the tip of the snail on the rotor sits behind the fork leg. Make sure the rotor is aligned with the inside of the wheel before putting everything back together (there's a bunch of guides on here on how to do this that provide a much better explanation). This is the most common way to break the speedo rotor.

From the sounds of it, this should solve the problem. I had a very similar experience. :eek:ccasion14:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts