Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about changing sprockets I want more of the line and cornering umpth!!! I don't really care about top speed but I'd still like to ride on the street / highway I'm not sure how the up a tooth down a tooth up stuff works so please help me understand???????

·
Registered
114 Posts
Down in the front or up in the rear will make you accelerate fast, but your top speed will go down.

I am pretty sure the 2003 gearing for the S model is 15 front / 44 rear, and the naked model is 15 front / 45 rear.

Dont worry about your speedo being off. Some bikes have their speedo sensor going from the sprockets, the SV has it on the front tire.

Try using this: http://www.gearingcommander.com/

·
Registered
827 Posts
I'm running a vortex combo 15/47 from a 15/45 stock. My bike is a daily commuter with spirited hill country rides on the weekends. I highly recommend this setup.

FWIW, I lost about 12-15 mph or so indicated off my 'top speed' and on the highway it's a bit more buzzy. Anytime you go up +3 (someone correct me if I'm wrong on this count) it's like going -1 in the front. Any increase in front sprocket tooth size will 'gear up'' the bike, making it feel less 'torquey.'

The link Sheller provided is very useful.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts