Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my sprocket has the numbers 40t530 on it is this stock I want to change my sprockets and chain for more bottom end

·
Registered
437 Posts
"JT" and "Driven" are both steel (recommended). Stay away from Vortex (aluminum).

·
Registered
437 Posts
will I have to change my chain to go +1 in the back and =1 in the front
Depending on mileage and wear, you might want to replace the chain anyway, as one with wear will wear out your new sprocket(s) prematurely.

Otherwise, NO, a stock length should accommodate +1 rear.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Don't bother with +1 on the back, it's not worth the time to swap them over. Either +3 on the back, or -1 on the front. -1 on the front you can do with the same chain, +3 will require a new one. +2 on the back will work with the same chain, but it's not really a big enough jump to enjoy. YMMV.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Don't bother with +1 on the back, it's not worth the time to swap them over. Either +3 on the back, or -1 on the front. -1 on the front you can do with the same chain, +3 will require a new one. +2 on the back will work with the same chain, but it's not really a big enough jump to enjoy. YMMV.

i can attest to what this fellow has typed.

i went to 2 up in the rear, and stock on the front. there was a change in low end, but by no means was it an exciting, noticeable change.
and i am now already looking to make a change, either a three up for the rear, or keep the two up in rear with a minus one in the front.

·
Registered
437 Posts
16/42 is actually optimal for our powerband. You'll never pull redline in sixth anyway.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts