Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i did a search and read a few posts (more than a few) about sprockets.

Here are some questions that i was left with and some info i gleaned from the threads.

How long do chains and sprockets last?

How drastic is the change from a 15/44 to say a 15/47?

I read that you can either drop 1 tooth in the front, or you should add 3 in the back (14/44 or 15/47, dropping or adding teeth is more drastic on the front vs the back, by doing either or you get the same result?)

The 520 mod should only be done if you take your whip to the track.

I only have about 1,500 miles on my bike so far, and know nothing about sprockets or chains (other than what i read from the posts on here) I just do some spirited riding whenever i can get the chance (no track days yet, jennings is too far away...for now). I just wanted to get some more info on this fine subject...like to add more bottom end: do this, add top end: do this)

I am thinkin about goin to a 15/47 setup.

posts are appreciated!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Funny I just did a whole drive chain replacement.
First some backround info I have a 2004 svs with 12,000+ miles my rear sprocket looked good and my front was real good seeing as how I changed it to a 14tooth at about 8,000 miles. But my chain was at the end of it's life I had no more adjustment it had tight spots and it squeaked (meaning the seal was broke and water got in the cracks) So I went on ebay and bought the 520 setup from moto-heaven. I got the "mild" gearing which is 15/47as opposed to the stock 15/ 44 or my change to 14/44. So far I like it I can tell alittle difference. This could be the less un sprung weight of the lighter rear sprocket. I'm very impressed with moto-heaven the product, the communication, and the deal 139.99 shipped with a clip style masterlink. The masterlink clip will soon become a rivet link for a more ease of mind. The whole 520 thing is more beneficial to racers with more available 520 track side parts, but when my local dealer want 117.00 for just the OEM chain I picked up the 520 kit for money reasons. I'm happy with it thus far! Hope that helps anything I else just ask.

Daniel

·
Registered
899 Posts
Howdy! I've been playing with this for a while and it is starting to become fanatical! I've kept the stock chain 108 link on the SVs and stock 15t front sprocket. I went from the stock 44t rear to a 45t and now a 46t. What I've learned is that one tooth makes very little diference in performance. I did notice exactly 2 MPH reduction in speed at any given RPM with an increase in 1 tooth on the rear. For example, the stock set up 15/44 at 5,000 RPM my indicated speed was 68. Now with the 15/46 set up my indicated speed at 5000 RPM is 64 MPH. With a 2 tooth increase in the rear I have been able to keep my stock chain, but it is at the limit. In order to go to a 47 tooth you need to replace the chain with more links. I did notice a nice increse in tork with 2 theeth up in the rear and it is still nice cruzing the interstate. The other popular option is to go to a 14t front which is the same as added three teeth in the rear. This way you can keep your stock chain. I may play with this option as well since I am a member of mods anonymous and seem to be obsessed with this!

N

·
0 Posts
If you want to compare different sprocket combos more easily (and cheaply!) divide the number of teeth on the rear sprocket by the number of teeth on the countershaft sprocket to get the final drive ratio. The higher the number, the lower the gearing.

Stock on my bike was 15/45, for a 3.00:1 ratio. if I went to a 14T front I'd have a 3.21:1 ratio, or 7% lower than stock. If I used a 15/48 combo I'd have a 3.20:1 ratio- essentially the same thing.

:)

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
I started off with stock gearing (duh) 15/44, went to 14/44, very zippy, went to 520 conversion with a 14/45, even more zippy. But I've grown tired of it. It feels like the bike goes through gears way too fast. Sure it wheelies no problem in first gear and second gear is easy too, but it got tiring. I'm running it up to 8 or 9k in first gear when I'm riding relaxed ::) Soon I'll be going to 15/45 in 525, cause 520 has no longer become worth it to me. Sprockets arent as easily available, and they wear way too dang fast (aluminum). Its going to be steel and 525 for me now on.

·
Registered
687 Posts
i went the 14 route. i like it ,give the bike more zippy ness. wheelie i don't know , i think it might be the way i sit on the bike but it wheelies the same. i like it for the back roads. my low fuel light come on 20miles sooner then before.so about 140-150 give or take

·
Registered
230 Posts
This is a little bit of an aside but is it unsafe to leave the plastic cover off the enging sprocket so that it is exposed??? I used to ride a Hawk and took it off and never had any problems. I thought it looked cool but then I was wondering if it could suck up shoe laces and the like???
Thanks
BC

N

·
0 Posts
I certainly wouldn't recommend it. On the off chance something important got in there it'd take it right off.

·
Registered
230 Posts
That's what I thought I just have seen high performance 4-wheelers with the sprocket exposed and figured if they could do it when they are jumping around and crashing what would be the odds of your toe(about the only thing that would fit) going in there on a street bike.

Has anybody else seen a bike with the sproket uncovered or am I being ridiculous.

N

·
0 Posts
I think it's pretty unlikely that you would get tangled up in the chain path, especially if you were wearing street or MX boots, but the risk is definitely there and the consequences could be severe (or "sever"?). I don't see any particular benefit in not running a countershaft cover especially since the one on the SV is so easy to remove and replace.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm nearing my first major maintence schedule and the chain&sprockets was definitely something on my list of to-dos. (One of many I guess)

Thanks for the great post guys! I definitely feel more confident when it comes time for me to make my purchases.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I did the 520 conversion and started with a 14/47, way too low (I do higway commutes) so I went to a 15/47 and it's the shizzle... I love it and will never go back, I get solid pull throughout the gears and 6th gear feels useful without being too low to be any good... highly recommend this setup to anyone...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts