Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 03 650s. and i assume it has stock sprockets. I love the take off and how well it pulls out of the curves. Also riding wheelies through 4th gear. But when just crusing like around 70 im running around 6 grand. It really feels like it needs another gear. Does anybody have any sprocket sujestions? i would like the rpms to be lower around 70 to 80 but dont want to lose too much torque.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I dont think you have stock gearing... but pictures would help.. 4th gear wheelies would take a lot of effort with stock.

·
Registered
76 Posts
6000 RPM at 70 sounds a bit high. I use 5K at 70 as a gear indicator so I don't try to upshift again. Unless you're wanting to wring a few more MPH out of the top speed, don't worry. I've cruised at a constant 7-8K=90-100mph for hours without any protest.
Is the chain well-maintained? Are any brakes binding? Have you changed the front tire size? The S is sleeker than my N and shouldn't have to work so hard to go 70.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the chain is new and the brakes are fine. its a aftermarket sprocket but not sure what size. i guess ill just have to count the teeth.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Here's a breakdown of speeds based on gearing based on the gearing and rear wheel diamater. So your speedo will be off by about ~8% if you're running a /60 tire, ~4% for a /70 tire.

So to drop the RPM at that speed you're looking at going up to a 16t front.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
i was doing 6krpm at around 70 with stock drive system, but my chain was finished ...

not unless your clutch was slipping, worn chain won't cause a change in rpm, only a change from stock gearing

1 - 8 of 8 Posts