Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
go to bottom if you dont want to read all of this

Hello, I have a 2001 sv650s and I love it, its got a vance and hines pipe and KnN drop in filter and this spring before she came out to rip, I installed a RK 520 quick acceleration kit, great purchase, I love it. stock teeth are 15-front and 44 or 45? in the rear, and the quick acceleration kit its a 14-45. It raised my rpms about 500-700 at all cruising speeds and took my highway RPM from around 6k to like 6500sih, and from what I can tell my fuel economy didnt change at all, even might have got a bit better, which is odd from what i hear. I ussually get around 140 to 150 miles before the light comes on, now with the new chain its in the mind 150s depending on how I ride and where I tank up. And also Ive heard some people say that with these kits that you lose some top end. I got faster, heres my logic, I heard that 650s are faster in 5th than in 6th because it doesnt have enough power to overcome its own wind resistance so with the lower gearing it can get into the power band in 6th a little more and go faster. stock gearing i could get 120-125 barely on the speedo, now with the new RK chain and sprockets Ive got it to around 130, now I dont do this often and dont plan on doing it much at all, I like to ride my bike not murder it at top end screaming wide open.

which brings me to the reason for this post. I would be ok with an even more aggressive sprocket(s). I just dont know which one to get, I like the 14-45 but I want more low end off the line corner accelerating front tire popping good stuff, I would be ok if my sv only topped out at 110 or 115, If I could gain more power down lower, I would be ok with running highway rpms in the 7k range, doesnt bother me, not to sure how the bike would like it, Im ok with getting 30-40mpg that doesnt really bother me, Im just looking for someone who knows alot about this or who is in the same situation that I am in, Ive trolled the forum for a bit, and looked at a few sprocket posts but nothing really answers my questions

And if anybody has any 520 sprockets they have laying around Im interested in just goofing off and seeing what there like. so if you have anything let me know.

·
Registered
127 Posts
You could jump to some where between a 47 and 50t in the rear keeping the 15 front c/s unit.. that would give you more of that 'front tire popping' your looking for and increase your low end.

Here's a 52 I did for a guy for his Katana..

Or just go over board with a 58t... LOL

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
i went the other way with my 08, put a 42 on the back to lower the R's on the hiway and give a little more topend!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HOLY COW that 58t is a serious stunting sprocket big time! so do you think if i kept my 14t front and went from a 45t rear to say a 48t rear that would give me a little more oomppff down lower, Ive read a few gearing posts and they seem to make alot of sense. I guess you just dont know how the bike feels till you go there, I love riding in the twisties, and most of my speeds are in the 40-80mph range mostly in lower part of that. and also is it true that one front tooth is equal to 2-3 rear teeth?

and weasel, why did you go down in the rear? just better cruising? did you gain top end? did it hurt your off the line or low end performance drastically?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ive run a 48 on a short track. You will def loose out on top end in a hurry but a sprocket change is simple on this thing. If your just running around twon, run it hight and hey, if you are going on a long trip, pop the tire off and switch sprokets. Done.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
and weasel, why did you go down in the rear? just better cruising? did you gain top end? did it hurt your off the line or low end performance drastically?

yes, yes, and no......lol

the SV has so much down low i/you really don't miss it...still pulled like a freight train but with a higher mph!! mileage stayed in the 50's...was really nice at Putnam Park, 122 into the 1st turn!!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Super Sprox 520 conversion with a 47 tooth rear sounds like your ticket. I have it with factory gearing and I'm very happy. I still pull the front end up exiting corners in 2nd, and I can put it near vertical without any issue in 1st.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Ya, 1 tooth on front=2,3 or 4 on the rear depending on who you talk to, there is probably a gearing chart somewhere that could tell you for sure.
Depending on who you talk to? What? It's based on math not opinions.

45/15 = 3
48/16 = 3
42/14 = 3

So.. divide the rear by the front and if the result is over 3 you will have "shorter" gearing, if it's less than 3 you will have "longer" gearing (than stock of 15/45).

·
Registered
217 Posts
the gain in mileage is more than likely from the loss of about 4lbs to the bike.

alot of people do not realize that going with an acceleration kit that only adjusts a tooth front or rear allows you to pull harder up top. most mildly modded bikes do not have the power to reach the top of the rev limit in 6th gear. going 1 tooth down in front or 1 or tooth teeth up in rear allows the bike to stay in the power further into the rev limits. there for more mph. however......a massive sprocket like that 52 or 58t will cause a loss of mph on top, and a loss of money in your wallet due to wheelie tickets.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
i went the other way with my 08, put a 42 on the back to lower the R's on the hiway and give a little more topend!!
I gotta call BS on more top end

the SV don't have hp to overcome the wind resistance with stock gearing, dropping the rpm will drop hp and make your top speed slower (in top gear)

as it is, stock SV's top speed in in 5th gear

·
Registered
127 Posts
HOLY COW that 58t is a serious stunting sprocket big time!

Yes the 58t is, well.. not really practical.. the guy that wanted it thought he needed to do roll-on power wheelies with a 600 Katana (insert laughter here)..:lmao:

But you can bump up 2t max in the rear, I wouldn't go any higher.. it would give you what you might be looking for.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
I gotta call BS on more top end

the SV don't have hp to overcome the wind resistance with stock gearing, dropping the rpm will drop hp and make your top speed slower (in top gear)

as it is, stock SV's top speed in in 5th gear
Generally I agree with you but I have hit the rev limiter in 6th on a (stock) first gen with 15-45 and 15-44. GPS for the 45 rear is right around 134mph.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think im going to get a 47t rear to go with my 14t front. I did some riding this week and pretended 5th gear was 6th and the raised rpms didnt bother me. Even on the highway 5th gear seemed very capable of doing what it i feel like would be about the same as the sprocket changes im going for. Idk about going down in the rear when i would try and top my bike out(sorry im 22 i cant help it) with stock sprockets she would just kind of hover in the middle-top of 6th and not really give her the beans much more than that. But my bikes got 25k on it and she had a rough life before she got to me. So im not sure if shes in super tip top shape anyway. But she still rides like a champ. Idk if im going to pull the trigger on that sprocket this year or not but i will deff update if i do. I just dont want to order it have it get here and then have a ft of snow or somthing like that! Its getting a bit chilly in WI allready been riding in some low 40s high 30s nights. Time to crack out the balaclava!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Generally I agree with you but I have hit the rev limiter in 6th on a (stock) first gen with 15-45 and 15-44. GPS for the 45 rear is right around 134mph.
Should have been faster than 134 mph if you hit 10,500 RPM's. Should have been closer to 143. http://www.gearingcommander.com/

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Should have been faster than 134 mph if you hit 10,500 RPM's. Should have been closer to 143. http://www.gearingcommander.com/
I hit a very distinct cut of some sort (I would imagine ignition on first gen), and the GPS reading was nearly identical each time (~134).

Changed to a 44 tooth rear and would hit the same cut when tipping the bike (but not straight up and down), although the GPS died so have no data on this one.

I do believe at a minimum there was no wind or more likely a small tail wind.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts