Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided that I don't mind loosing a little top-end speed, to pick up some low-end power.

two obvious solution:
-One less tooth in the front
-Extra in the rear.

I've read that:
-I'll wear the chain down fast with the 1st option
-I've got to buy both, and longer chain & rear sprocket with the 2nd.

I wanted to get 1st hand testomonies from those who have:

1) What option did you choose?
2) What is a pain, or extensive?
3) Where's the best place to pick up what I need?

·
Registered
394 Posts
On my 2005 SVS the stock configuration is 15t in the front and 44t in the rear. I ran a 14t sprocket for a while and while it did give quicker acceleration it made the gears really short.
I am currently running the stock 15t in the front and a 45t in the rear ( I believe its the stock gearing for the SVN).
It feels good I like it better than the stock.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On my 2005 SVS the stock configuration is 15t in the front and 44t in the rear. I ran a 14t sprocket for a while and while it did give quicker acceleration it made the gears really short.
I am currently running the stock 15t in the front and a 45t in the rear ( I believe its the stock gearing for the SVN).
It feels good I like it better than the stock.
You still have the 14t ?

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
You have those backwards. SVS stock is 45, SVN stock is 44.

To the O.P.:

It's wise to replace sprockets in pairs, and the chain with them. Don't buy aluminum sprockets - they're wear out quickly.

The rule of thumb is every 1-tooth change in the front sprocket equals a 3-tooth change in the rear. Stock SNV is 15f 44r...I'd go with a 15f 47r (equivalent to dropping the front sprocket down a tooth but retaining the factory rear sprocket size). If you're really worried about chain life you could go with 16f 50r (same as 15f 47r, but the chain has even less of a radius to go around).

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
This might help a little if you haven't already checked it out:
http://gearingcommander.com/

At the bottom it evaluates your sprocket configuration to give you an idea of what kind of chain wear to expect.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Quick question. Has anybody had their gas milage drop that much after installing a 520 conversion kit?

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Going to a 520 shouldn't affect your gas mileage. If it has, then there's another factor - you're riding harder, sprockets aren't aligned properly, changed the sprocket teeth count, etc.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
The other downside to the 14t is that it will wear down the rub block on the swingarm faster. Not an expensive part, but you have to pull the swingarm to change it.

I like 15 x 47 for the street, but really it's all down to the type of riding you do and your personal preference.

BTW, the "S" has the 44 stock, the "N" has the 45.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Quick question. Has anybody had their gas milage drop that much after installing a 520 conversion kit?
I did a 520 kit but of course my mileage drop came from going down a tooth in the front, went to a 14t on my S.

I'm thrilled when I get 43mpg, others with stock gearing report 50's.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
BTW, the "S" has the 44 stock, the "N" has the 45.
Again, this is incorrect.

The S model has a 45-tooth rear sprocket for a little sportier performance. The Naked has a 44-tooth rear sprocket.

This picture was taken from my 2007 SVS with the factory rear sprocket:

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Again, this is incorrect.

The S model has a 45-tooth rear sprocket for a little sportier performance. The Naked has a 44-tooth rear sprocket.

This picture was taken from my 2007 SVS with the factory rear sprocket:
Well, you learn something new every day. :) They must have changed the "S" at some point then. Every "N" I've ever seen had a 45, every "S" had a 44.

·
Registered
973 Posts
You have those backwards. SVS stock is 45, SVN stock is 44.

To the O.P.:

It's wise to replace sprockets in pairs, and the chain with them. Don't buy aluminum sprockets - they're wear out quickly.

The rule of thumb is every 1-tooth change in the front sprocket equals a 3-tooth change in the rear. Stock SNV is 15f 44r...I'd go with a 15f 47r (equivalent to dropping the front sprocket down a tooth but retaining the factory rear sprocket size). If you're really worried about chain life you could go with 16f 50r (same as 15f 47r, but the chain has even less of a radius to go around).
Actually a naked sv runs a 15/45 gearing. An S model runs a 15/44. the S is geared a little bit taller.

·
Registered
9,563 Posts
unless you are racing you really shouldnt bother going to 520. Just gotta adjust your chain more.

·
Registered
394 Posts
You still have the 14t ?
I am 100% sure my 2005 SV650S came with a 15/44 I was switching back and forth between the stock and aftermarket sprockets to see which I liked better.

I will look around for it, it should still have some life left on it. If I can find it you can have it for the cost of shipping . Its a 525.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Actually a naked sv runs a 15/45 gearing. An S model runs a 15/44. the S is geared a little bit taller.
My '07 S has a 45-tooth rear sprocket from the factory, as shown in my picture.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
They must have changed it in '07 - my manual says both the N and S have 15/45 sprockets.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
As some of you know I changed over to a 15/47 this winter and finally had a chance to get out and give it a try. So far in the 500 miles I have ridden in 09 it had been very nice. Yesterday I spent 200 miles in the twisties and felt real comfortable with the gearing in all the corners at all speeds. I really think this is going to be my new set up.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts