Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently looking at a 2005 ZX6R /636 rear shock. I know that a lot of people around here have put older models on their SVs and I was wondering if anybody knows if the spring rates have changed in the 2005. The one I am looking at is gold in color with a red spring.

Thanks!!!!!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jason!!!

I just look at the Stock Shock Spring Rate. Right? If so it has been the same for a long time, 9.7 kg/mm.

That number look like a spring rate?

Sorry for the dumb question, don't know much about suspension and stuff.......

Thanks again!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Yes that number looks like a spring rate. People usually talk about rear spring rates in pounds/inch on here.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That number is off the RaceTech website. I already know that rate for the 636 shock is ok I just wanted to make sure it had not changed from year to year.

Thanks for the info!!

B

·
0 Posts
Is 636 rear shock a direct bolt in fit on an 02 SVS, or does it need some meddling with to work properly? Ie- dog bone links etc? Thanks.

·
Registered
606 Posts
The '05 636 shock is different than the 03-04 version. It has changed significantly. You may wish to check it out your information carefully since the shock is now a Showa unit and it is much different. It is basically the same shock as the 04-05 GSXR 600/750 shock. Design wise and demensionally the two types of shocks are nearly identical. The 05 ZX600RR (N1) shock is different from the 05 636 (C1)

The -0090 RR shock is not available from Kawasaki as a replacement part, the -0069 636 shock is. According to Kawasaki they are valved differently, but I'm not sure if they are sprung differently, I couldn't get a straight answer. I've only looked at the 05 RR shock and not had one apart yet. Otherwise externally it appears to be the shock same as a 636 shock and either should fit up well enough.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input guys. I checked the Race Tech Website, the spring rates were the same so I bought the shock based on that info.

This is the shock I bought. I had a Gixxer shock in there but it was waaaay to soft so this was the replacement.

I got the shock installed on Saturday. Everything went in very well and it was pretty easy but, man is it a tight fit!! I took the bike out on Sunday and did about 200 miles including some spirited twisty riding. I didn't have the time, or the man power to set the sag, rebound, and compression properly so I just set everything in the middle and called it good. I would definetly recommend this shock, I am sure it will be even better once I get it set up correctly.

BTW, I got it off E-Bay for $55 including shipping.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh, one more thing.....

One of the holes on the bottom of the shock stock shock and the GSXR shocks is threaded. Neither of the holes in the bottom of this shock are threaded. This means you CANNOT use the stock bottom bolt because it is too short. You need to get a nut and bolt and, depending on what you buy, you may need to trim them to get them to fit in between the dog bones.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts