Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok well since i am a retard when it comes to anything mechanical, most of the time, and theres no way in hell i could tear my bike down, have the frame powdercoated and then put back together, i was thinking about doing the following; sanding the frame (what you could see of it) priming it and then spraying it black. the rims ill obviously have powdercoated. what can i expect about paint chipping? i could always tape off the rest of the bike and spray it again no? has this been tried?

D

·
0 Posts
I'm interested to hear from someone whos done this too, I was thinking about it but I'm on the fence per say there's a lot of room for error..........

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
It will look like crap... and then.. it will start to scratch and flake off.. and look like crap with crap on top of it

D

·
0 Posts
If I had to guess I'd say it would look like a black frame with a bunch of dull alluminum "freckles" after some time riding with them "freckles" getting larger and larger.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
powdercoating is the only way to go?

i saw a guy with a paint job that continued onto his frame, it looked really good...

·
Registered
76 Posts
the krylon touch will not work on the frame...like he said...powdercoat

·
Registered
155 Posts
the SV frame is aluminum. standard paint like Krylon or normal automotive paints wont peoperly stick to the surface. and will eventually peel off and look like poop.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
sv frame is actually painted... its not bare aluminum.

paint would work, if done professionally with the right kind of paint.. something resistant to heat and very durable.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If nothing else I don't think you realize what a huge pain in the ass it would be to sand the thing yourself. Trust me I know. I've been trying to get an old 79 kawasaki restored and figured I'll just paint the frame myself. The sanding is definately the worst part. From everything I've heard it's really not that expensive to get a bike frame painted or powdercoated and you will definately be much happier with the results

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i wouldnt be painting the whole frame tho, just whatever is showing after i pull all my plastics off...thats the whole point, im unable to take the bike apart, have it powdercoated, and then put it back together.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
it will look like crap.

Why don't you try to wrap it with exhaust wrap?

Maybe buy a sheet of vinly and try applying it like a giant sticker? Using a blow dryer you can probably get it around most of the bendy parts.

With either of the above ideas, if you don't like it you can take it off.

·
Registered
830 Posts
this has probably been asked a lot, but repetition is good for learning.

What is an average cost to powdercoat (black of course) the frame and the swingarm, + things like the rearsets etc.. if I fully dissamble and drive the parts to the painter?

just curious

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
I've had good success with Dupli-color Ceramic Engine block paint. Its resistant to oil and grease, rated up to 500 degrees, and if properly prepped it holds pretty good. Theres a few parts on my bike that I've used that paint, and they are fine now. My bracket for the gauge and the bracket for the exhaust are namely two parts I've painted. Its a flat black too, so it matches the other small black components on the bike.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
You could, possibly, get a decent result with paint, if you strip back and use an appropriate primer. But it'll be a nightmare to do- probably far harder than breaking the bike completely. No matter how long you spend on it there'll always be one bit you can't reach. Just say no!

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
gd it...i wonder if that decal thing would work, i wanted it flat black

if i was as smart as some of u id tear it down and powdercoat it... i know a place around here would charge me an arm and a leg

·
Registered
155 Posts
wonderjosh said:
sv frame is actually painted... its not bare aluminum.
That sucks. I think it would be nice to have a polished frame. I guess i won't be doing that, cause paint is too much of a beeatch to remove.

·
Registered
430 Posts
yellow650 said:
this has probably been asked a lot, but repetition is good for learning.

What is an average cost to powdercoat (black of course) the frame and the swingarm, + things like the rearsets etc.. if I fully dissamble and drive the parts to the painter?

just curious
IIRC I paid about $140 for my swingarm, frame, and all the othe bits. that included sandblasting.

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
punkjumper said:
IIRC I paid about $140 for my swingarm, frame, and all the othe bits.  that included sandblasting.
How so cheap? Places around here, not only do I ahve to travel a bit to get them, it'll also be 500$ for the same components. Hence the reason I'm not going to do it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts