Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm tooling around the idea of making the sv a dedicated track bike, and getting a sport-adventure. Something that I can ride for 4-5 hrs without having my ass hurting for the next 3 days, but also something I can ride with confidence on a twisty road, and maybe a dirt trail or two..

What are your thoughts? What's your experience? What would you suggest? Price range, new, I'd say no more than 8-9k... used, anything under that, if righteously priced.

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
How about an SV650?

I ride mine for many multiples of your 4-5 hr limit w/out pain.

Bars up and back a bit, pegs down and forward a tad.

Better saddle and you're good to go.

Handles dirt and gravel roads well too.

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nah the sv is a race bike! ah ah... No I've done 4-5 hr trips and they're not fun on the sv, grant it, it's the s model, but I just don't see it as a sport-adventure... I want to do this kind of stuff:

I doubt the sv can handle that...

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
They have stuff like that in Miami?

Dirt bike bars and different tires and your SV can probably handle it.

You'll be surprised how much more comfortable the bike is once I put handlebars on my S. That with Buell pegs makes 4-5 hours not too bad.

I get what you're saying though. BMW and Triumphs come to mind.

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I'm not going to be in miami for much longer, I'm moving to Eugene Oregon in 4 months ;D

·
Registered
225 Posts
Along the SV lines and well below your price range would be Vstrom. Dudes rave about em and you could likley do about anything on one..

·
very big dumb
8,897 Posts
tiger 800 is your answer.
or a ktm
or some of the bimmers (stick in the 650 range because bigger ones aren't as good offroad)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Along the SV lines and well below your price range would be Vstrom. Dudes rave about em and you could likley do about anything on one..
+1

If the OP wanted to stay along the lines of a SV than get either a Vstrom 650 or 1000 and be done. Big aftermarket and decent parts. Not as nice as a BMW GS, KTM or Tiger, but still very capable.

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah my fear is that if I go with triumph, bmw or KTM, the parts are going to be ridiculously expensive... Is the VStorm very tall? I'm 5'7'' so not the tallest fo the bunch, and leaves me with a narrower search window

·
Registered
71 Posts
Adventure bikes are tall by nature. Most manufactures therefore have the ability to lower seats, or suspension on adventure bikes. Somebody with experience in Vstroms or the like chime in because Im not an authority here. I just know it can be done.

·
MOTORADOR
10,958 Posts
We went on a nice twisty ride last weekend and a friend of mine was on his DL1000 (Vstrom). We were riding pretty "spirited" on the curves and he kept up with the rest of us just fine.

I really dig that bike.

That's him (4:50)

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Maybe a lower seat, I don't want to lower suspensions and modify the way the bike handles...

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We went on a nice twisty ride last weekend and a friend of mine was on his DL1000 (Vstrom). We were riding hard on the curves and he kept up with the rest of us just fine.

I really dig that bike.
I'm gonna have to plan a test ride...

·
MOTORADOR
10,958 Posts
Look at the video I added above.

I've also heard the DL650 is a blast too as long as you're not doing a lot of 2-up.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Yeah my fear is that if I go with triumph, bmw or KTM, the parts are going to be ridiculously expensive... Is the VStorm very tall? I'm 5'7'' so not the tallest fo the bunch, and leaves me with a narrower search window
If you go with an "adventure" bike (god, I hate that term) you're looking at a seat height between 34-37" off of the ground due to the large wheels and long travel suspension. Now the question is, do you need the suspension? The pic you posted of the KTM is something that can be done with any street bike, the rider doesn't even have knobbies mounted. Are you looking to do harder stuff? Singletrack? Fire roads?

The SV is better offroad than the V Strom, it has a lower center of gravity so it is more stable.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
just ride it as is. you don't NEED to two-foot the ground.
Exactly. My Husky I would have to kickstart while on the sidestand, wheel it to a tree in neutral, climb up and ride off.

I can get one foot down on my BMW (just sold it last night, now I'm prepping to deliver it cross country next week), and that is all you need to ride on the street.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I'm 5'7" and sat on a DR650SE at the dealer couple weeks ago. It was the highest bike I'd feel comfortable on.

I also liked the feel and price of this BMW when I checked it out a couple months ago.

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If you go with an "adventure" bike (god, I hate that term) you're looking at a seat height between 34-37" off of the ground due to the large wheels and long travel suspension. Now the question is, do you need the suspension? The pic you posted of the KTM is something that can be done with any street bike, the rider doesn't even have knobbies mounted. Are you looking to do harder stuff? Singletrack? Fire roads?

The SV is better offroad than the V Strom, it has a lower center of gravity so it is more stable.
I posted that pic just to give a general idea, but I'd like to go on some more challenging dirt roads, cross shallow lakes etc.

@Mad8

No but with a 30' inseam I don't think I would be able to comfortably keep the bike upright, if the footing is not stable due to uneven surface, or gravel etc, I wouldn't feel comfortable on the tip of one foot. At least 2, I'd say would make me feel better.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts