Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there guys,

I got a Spiegler LSL kit for my 99' SV650S off eBay and it arrived today. Everything looked pretty good, longer clutch cable, had to trim the included windscreen because it was unsymmetrical with different cutouts side to side...But no brake lines.

My big question is, the front brake line that runs from the splitter to the master cylinder is going to come up short, bars are about 5" taller and 4" further back, could I use a rear brake line from an SV, or maybe a naked model's upper brake hose?

Secondly, I haven't taken the ignition off, but it says something about the ignition retentions screws that go into the underside of the triple clamp being an area of some difficulty...any validity to this before I go diving in head first?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
See, this side is pretty cool by me, neat design on the cut out.

But this side? Made a template, masked it, cut it out and it turned out pretty well.

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
You'll need a torx bit for the ignition screws (search, the size is well documented) and you can use a naked line for your brakes. Not sure that a rear brake line would work, depends on the angle of the fittings- but I say if you can afford to do it twice you can afford to do it right.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I finally got it done today...needs improvement in a few areas. The brake line is off a mystery bike, looks kind of like an early bandit, and is far too long. Secondly, the bar ends are made of delrin versus heavy steel for the stockers... Will be looking into modding my stock ones on there. Thirdly, the brake and clutch hit the mirrors at full lock...I've been meaning to put mirror extenders on for a while, so I guess now is as good a time as any to solve the clearance issue as well as the visual one. All in all I'd say it is a huge improvement comfort-wise, makes me wish I had done this earlier....and a T40 security but did the job on the ignition switch in case anyone was searching.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! I took it for a 125 mile ride last night. And it is AWESOME, had to adjust the controls half a dozen times, but overall it was a great mod. With the bars versus clip ons, the steering is feather light. I'll have to investigate further, but it seems to have hurt my highway mileage, dropping from mid 40's to high 30's...more wind resistance from the upright riding position? I'll test further and post test results.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nope, mileage is the same, got 46. something on today's trip...I think that the choke was very lightly on, thusly ruining the mileage on the last trip. I did lose some top end, it would touch 200kmph with the clip-ons, but with the bars on it, I was only able to go 180kmph...tucked in. Don't really see how that happened.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Its probably in your head. I did a bar swap on my 2nd gen in the winter and have put 6k on it. Makes the bike so much more fun but nothing else changed i.e. top speed/fuel mileage/etc

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm hoping so, I really need a new front tire, the rear has maybe 2,500 miles on it, the front is cupped and making the bike somewhat flighty and twitchy handling wise. I love the handlebars, hands down best mod for the bike. I just don't get it on the top end though, I've had it to 200kmph and little above, it just felt like it ran out of steam at 180kmph.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts