Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to leave for school today, suited up, and jumped on my bike. It was already outside because I had ridden it several hours earlier so I walked it out of my driveway, hit my start button and nothing. I looked down to see that the key was on but the gauges didn't even work. With time ticking I checked the fuses in a hurry, nothing! I moved it next to my truck for a jump start, still nothing! A little nervous the power of my truck battery would fry my system I didn't mess with it much. I hooked the battery charger up to the battery and the meter moved, so I gave up and went to school.

I got home and searched the forums and came up with little info, except something about the green harness failing consistently. So I took it apart and checked out the harness, nothing. I went through the other harnesses, with no avail. As a last ditch effort I hooked the battery up to the charger and let it sit. 30 minutes later I hooked it back up to the bike and it fired right up!

I have a bad habit of killing my bike with the switch then forgetting to turn the key off, but I have never actually killed the battery because I usually catch it. In my panic I guess I didn't realize I never turned on my key when I went to leave. I'm not sure why the jump start didn't work, maybe in my rush I didn't have something connected right. I'm just hoping the battery wasn't dead for another reason.

·
Banned
855 Posts
You forgot to turn on the key and wonder why it won't jump start? Thats simple. The key is a switch that turns voltage flow on or off. If the current can't get to the starter, there is no way it will start via the starter.

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
As far as I am concerned the kill switch is for emergency situations only. I never use it, and have almost forgotten it is there. If the switch ever does get thrown, it usually takes me a few head scratches before I even think to check it.

Another procedural tip that might help: When you lock your forks, always turn the key all the way to the "P" stop then go back to "L," before removing the key. This will ensure you never accidentally overshoot and leave it with the "parking" lights on.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
This is one of those cases where I'd hide my mistake from the rest of the world instead of broadcasting it all AoW style...
+1

As far as I am concerned the kill switch is for emergency situations only. I never use it, and have almost forgotten it is there. If the switch ever does get thrown, it usually takes me a few head scratches before I even think to check it.

Another procedural tip that might help: When you lock your forks, always turn the key all the way to the "P" stop then go back to "L," before removing the key. This will ensure you never accidentally overshoot and leave it with the "parking" lights on.
I used to use my kill switch alot, until once I left the heated grip switch on and left the ignition switch on for about 30 minutes while cleaning the garage. Only to have the same problem, put on gear and jump on bike, noticed gauges are on and heated grips are on, and press the starter switch hoping it would start.

Long story short, it didn't start, almost always use the key now to turn the bike off.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I usually use the kill switch to turn off my bike. Sometimes I throw the kickstand down just to make sure the autokill there works as it's supposed to. I always lock my forks though and do the thing with the parking lights that Jack said about. To top things off I have a big yellow rubber keychain that contrasts with my blue bike so I don't forget my keys. Some say I'm paranoid but all I know is it works for me :).

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
Well, just because you are paranoid it doesn't mean the whole world isn't out to get you. ;D

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
+1

Although some asshat at work thinks it's funny to flip my switch for me after I go in. Took me a sec. to figure it out the first time.

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
Except for on my bike, there is not petcock for the "F" and no "C"hoke

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is one of those cases where I'd hide my mistake from the rest of the world instead of broadcasting it all AoW style...
Why? Everyone messes up sometimes, why not have a laugh over it. I'm sure you and everyone else has done something worse then simple killing a battery.

I can only hope the safety course was a joke. I take great pride in the way I ride, and "work" very hard to constantly be alert and in the best position for visibility. And I couldn't even begin to tally up the hours spent in parking lots practicing; even to this day, after 55k miles. I don't understand what safety has to do with forgetting a key.

When I get off my bike I hit the kill switch, turn my key and take my helmet off. But in this particular instance I decided to readjust the motorcycle to give it a little more stability and simply forgot to turn the key. I found the situation comical, but I guess I can find the humor in life instead of living miserably, like some of you obviously do.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm pretty sure all of us have done that, or left the sidestand down and put it in gear or any one of the 100 other embarrassing things, usually in front of a hot chick. I always laugh at myself, and share the story with anyone who cares to hear in hopes they will laugh too.

I always use the kill switch, the theory being if you ever NEED to use it, you can do it without thinking. Good tip on running the key switch past "locked" to parking lights and then back to "locked".

·
Registered
19 Posts
Definitely something my MSF instructors touched on. Interesting to see that it does happen occasionally in real world use. Ill be a little more cautious.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts