Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so if I can afford it, I would like to get a nicer looking speedometer set up for my newly naked sv.

I have done searches, and saw what people are using, and I have done my own internet searches and found some others that I might want to pick up.

I just have some overall questions.

For the digital guages from what I can tell you have to run new wires and pick ups for the speedometer, and run wires for the tach. Im cool with that.

What about the idiot lights though? Are they pretty universal? If I bought a guage that had idiot lights, could I take my existing wires, and hook it up to those and have it work?
If I can, I would like to somehow keep all my lights in working condition. (at least the idiot lights, I could care less about the neutral and high beam lights)


Also, do other suzuki clusters work with the sv? I found a gsxr 1000 cluster for pretty cheap. But it has a digital speedo (i have a first gen), that wouldn't work, would it?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,199 Posts
you can wire up individual idiot lights. if you get your bike inspected, you'll need the high beam light. You need to use the circuit board out of the OEM cluster for the fuel light to work.

No other cluster will bolt right on and work. I'm working on it but I have a few projects a head of that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
donniej said:
you can wire up individual idiot lights. if you get your bike inspected, you'll need the high beam light. You need to use the circuit board out of the OEM cluster for the fuel light to work.

No other cluster will bolt right on and work. I'm working on it but I have a few projects a head of that.

Yea, the problem is the circuit board in the SVS cluster is huge. I was thinking of trying to find some way to mount it out of sight, if I could I would try to fabricate some way to use all the original guages and lights.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,199 Posts
mrlucky2u said:
Yea, the problem is the circuit board in the SVS cluster is huge. I was thinking of trying to find some way to mount it out of sight, if I could I would try to fabricate some way to use all the original guages and lights.
If you can solder and have lots of patience then it's no big deal. I've had these clusters apart (naked clusters) apart to many times and here's what you need to do.....

Un-solder the speedo stuff from the circuit board and solder in a ribbon cable. Mount the circuit board in a radioshack project box and put it out of the way. Mount your gauges in a custom housing and run the ribbon cable to the gauges. There's ~30 connections that will need to be soldered on each side, including the lights.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
donniej said:
If you can solder and have lots of patience then it's no big deal. I've had these clusters apart (naked clusters) apart to many times and here's what you need to do.....

Un-solder the speedo stuff from the circuit board and solder in a ribbon cable. Mount the circuit board in a radioshack project box and put it out of the way. Mount your gauges in a custom housing and run the ribbon cable to the gauges. There's ~30 connections that will need to be soldered on each side, including the lights.
Yea, I could do all that. I would like to do something like this, but finding a place to put the SVS cluster is what I think is going to be the issue. (I want it to be hidden) and there is nothing to hide it behind now that the fairings are gone.
I havn't had that much time to explore though. now that I have all the parts I need (minus the speedo figured out) I will be working on the bike this weekend.


Storz, I was just looking at that page, I kinda liked the 3700 series
But I have to find out if my speedo cable will work with them or not. Im going to send a picture of the svs speedo pick up in the front tire and send it to them, then they will let me know.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top