Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran over a nail today and got new tires. When I removed my front wheel to take to the tire place I noticed that the speedometer sensor was completely crumbled. My speedo was somehow still working, but I want to replace this part before I put the wheel back on because honestly it is a miracle it was working and probably won't if I put it together like this. I ordered the new rotor part, but I am unable to remove the existing one. It spins freely, but when I try to pull it out it gets completely stuck. Am I missing a step? I tried to find videos for this but could not. It pulls to the point in the second picture and will not pull anymore. I twist and pull with everything I have, but it gets stuck at the same point
every time. Does anyone know if I am missing a step? Is there a technique to this?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi mate. I replace these more often than I should need to. My guess is that it has worn some sort of lip inside, probably from destroyed rotor. Squirt with lube, pull on it with pliers whilst attempting to turn it at the same time. Hope that works. Cheers. PS make sure you clean out all the recesses 100% before fitting rotor

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi mate. I replace these more often than I should need to. My guess is that it has worn some sort of lip inside, probably from destroyed rotor. Squirt with lube, pull on it with pliers whilst attempting to turn it at the same time. Hope that works. Cheers. PS make sure you clean out all the recesses 100% before fitting rotor
I will go at it some more tommorow. I was giving it a lot of force and wanted to make sure I was not missing a step or there was something I needed to free instead of just forcing it. Tomorrow I will give it another shot. I have a couple days before my tires come in anyway, so I should be able to get it out by then. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ended up getting it off. I went at it with pliers and it kind of broke out. It was bound in there with broken peices of itself. Have the whole area cleaned up with a q-tip and ready to place in the new rotor when I get my tires on. I will make sure to grease it up nice, I am 99% sure that broken part is where the sqeaking in my front wheel was coming from that I would notice when going slow.

·
Registered
331 Posts
According to the manual (pg 7-14), grease should be applied to the outer seal where the sensor goes into the wheel. The Rotor and its seal are supposed to be dry.

Reactions: Strongocho

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
According to the manual (pg 7-14), grease should be applied to the outer seal where the sensor goes into the wheel. The Rotor and its seal are supposed to be dry.
I will look into that. I bought the bike used with no manual and all the videos I have seen of people replcing these they greased the whole rotor. Since that is what is actually spinning, it made sense to me. I will see if I can find a PDF version of the manual or something.

·
Registered
21 Posts
That rotor is a sintered metal piece, manufactured by squeezing iron filings together at great pressure until they become one part. It is an utterly stupid place to put a sintered metal part. But the cash register will ring with almost every wheelie, so maybe that is the reason. A careful hammer and a punch will turn it to tiny bits with less force than pulling and tugging. Vacuum and brush out the bits, degrease, reassmble with new part.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts