Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently replaced my gauge cluster with one I bought off ebay with the description 2003-2007, sv650,sv1000.....so I figured all these combinations are interchangable, now I'm wondering. Installed the new gauge and the mph seem to be about double what they should be.
The only other thing I did lately was replaced the chain.

I found info on the sv650 that the speed sensor rotor was bad or for the 2003 the rotor had 4 magnets later models had 8. I couldn't find any info on an SV1000 having this speed doubling issue.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
529 Posts
I think you are screwed. The 650 changed from 4 pole to 8 pole in 05. The 1000 was the same 8 pole through production. The 650 and 1000 speed sensors are not interchangeable because of axle diameters.

You are going to need a cluster from either a 1000 or a 05 or newer 650. You must have gotten a 04 or older cluster from a 650.

The only other thing I can think of is to remove the speed rotor and attempt to remove half of the magnets. Might work, might destroy it. Burt Munro would make it work.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
After all these years you would think that people should know that '03 and after 1000 are different.Different in what?I don't know all yet.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Different in what?I don't know all yet.
Forks, are different on all K3's.
Beyond that, the K3S's have different exhausts, subframes, rider seats, side covers, shocks, swingarms, undertrays, and rearsets.
And that's just the chassis parts.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks FatCat. You mentioned the speed sensors are not interchangable because of axle diameters but isn't the speed sensor for the sv1000 by the front sprocket?

·
Registered
437 Posts
I looked up the differences, and it's in the speedometer.
K3-4 Speedo part #34120-16G10
K5+ Speedo part #34120-16G70

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ended up removing the front sprocket cover and speed sensor. I found the castle nut sensor pickup. Since it was reading double I took a dremel cut off wheel and removed (2) of the (4) taps on the nut. Put everything back together and the speedo is reading correctly again. Still not sure why it was doing this but I'm leaving it with I must have been given the wrong gauge, SV650 or ????

1 - 11 of 11 Posts