Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I got an 08 that was down and I got a used speedo to replace the broken one. I ride it around and the speed shows twice as high as I am actually going. 25 = 50+. I read that the sensor is different on an 08 than an 04. So, if my gauges are from an 04 and the sensor is from an 08 will this cause the problem? Or is the sensor magnet just broken?

If the sensor matching the year is the issue will an 04 magnet work with the 08 drive?

Can I cut off 4 of the 8 tips to make it like the 4 magnet sensor?

·
Premium Member
3,729 Posts
Yes, magnet in sensor unit needs to match the speedo model.

Just buy the magnet from the early model - they are < $20
Part number 34983-21E00

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
what year is the cluster from? get that year speedo sensor [the piece in the wheel]
and that should do it..

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have had a similar problem to this!
I bought a K3 SV650 with snapped forks and damaged wheel, i fitted forks and wheel from K5 bike. When i took the bike for the 1st test-ride the digital speedo was showing 137mph when i was following a car doing 30mph!
Does anyone know where i've gone wrong???

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The answer is that the magnet for an 04 must be used with the 04 gauges. I put in the 04 magnet in the 08 speedo pickup and now the 04 gauges read correctly.

Magnet and gauges must be the same.

Now, the gauges are reading correctly, but the turn signal indicators, bright headlight indicator and the backlight are all not working? The Neutral and gas light indicators are working. Everything else is working and the headlight will go on bright and the turn signals work fine. Just the gauges are not showing them as working. And the backlight is not working so you can not see the gauges at night.

So, is the wiring harness different for the 08 then the 04? There is an extra plug in my headlight (naked headlight) that is black and has 2 wires.

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
The answer is that the magnet for an 04 must be used with the 04 gauges. I put in the 04 magnet in the 08 speedo pickup and now the 04 gauges read correctly.

Magnet and gauges must be the same.

Now, the gauges are reading correctly, but the turn signal indicators, bright headlight indicator and the backlight are all not working? The Neutral and gas light indicators are working. Everything else is working and the headlight will go on bright and the turn signals work fine. Just the gauges are not showing them as working. And the backlight is not working so you can not see the gauges at night.

So, is the wiring harness different for the 08 then the 04? There is an extra plug in my headlight (naked headlight) that is black and has 2 wires.
I think the 03-04 gauges wire up differently than the 05+. Also I believe the S and naked use different wiring harnesses, but the gauges are the same.

See if you can get someone with an earlier model to read out the color combinations on the plug.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I saw another thread where there was someone with the same problem. They had to add a wire for a ground that was not on an 08. Sounds like something I can mess up without the proper tools.

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
I saw another thread where there was someone with the same problem. They had to add a wire for a ground that was not on an 08. Sounds like something I can mess up without the proper tools.
My understanding was that he was using the same year gauges as his bike. It wouldn't hurt to verify and make sure you have a good ground though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts