Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read quite a few posts here about SV speedo (in) accurracy. Does anyone have any thoughts about how fast I'm actually going if my speedo reads 127 mph? Other than too fast, that is.

Thanks,

Tom

04' SV650S (BluByU)

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
comparing my speedo with my gps, the speedo is ~5% off - on the high end.

most people will tell you that it's ~10% off - again on the high end.

for instance, i hit 126 on the speedo. gps told me i hit 120.

i hit 117 flying by a cop on the speedo - gps told me 110.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
depends on what you are running for a front tire and how worn out it is, because the speedo is based on the front wheel, it depends on the circumference of the tire, (on the 1k its on the output shaft, so the variables are sprockets and rear wheel size) everybody's error is slightly different and error changes as rubber wears off the tire

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
tomkalina said:
I'm running Z6's with about  2K on them, evenly worn ; 33 psi front, 36 psi rear.
there's no calculation that you can do to determine how off the speedo is. get a gps and find out. or better yet, just do the speed limit - you're pretty much guaranteed to never actually be speeding.

N

·
0 Posts
stranger said:
"there's no calculation that you can do to determine how off the speedo is..."
Measure the elapsed time for a mile at 60 MPH (indicated).

3600 (D/T) = R, where D equals 1 mile, time is your observed time in seconds and R is your actual speed in MPH.

(60-R)/60 = % speedo error.

indicated speed + (indicated speed * % speedo error) = actual speed

example: A mile in 63 sec is ~57 MPH, a 5% speedo error. 127 MPH (indicated) would then be ~120 MPH (actual).

;)

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
nc_sv650 said:
Measure the elapsed time for a mile at 60 MPH (indicated).

3600 (D/T) = R, where D equals 1 mile, time is your observed time in seconds and R is your actual speed in MPH.

(60-R)/60 = % speedo error.

indicated speed + (indicated speed * % speedo error) = actual speed

example: A mile in 63 sec is ~57 MPH, a 5% speedo error. 127 MPH (indicated) would then be ~120 MPH (actual).

;)
this assumes that you need to operate a stopwatch while riding to get an accurate start/stop time and watch the speedo for the entire riding time. not the safest.

better off just riding the speed limit

·
Registered
213 Posts
easy answer, you were going 120-121 m.p.h.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I've generally heard between 3 and 5 per cent.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts