Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'99 Naked

I was riding along the other day and the bikes electrical system began to die. The gauges went limp, the odometer blanked out and the bike began to sputter. I was able to make it home on battery power. I checked all the wiring and I believe the problem was related to the RR, which appears to be working fine (overheating?)

Since repairing the problem, my speedo doesn't work. The tach works fine and when I start the bike first thing, I can see a small blip on the speedo needle as if it has power but no input.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
830 Posts
hmm.. check the voltage across your battery (should be 14 volts??). if its low its probably the RR.

if it was just your tach dying i'd say it might be your front cylinder. either water in the plug or loose wires on the ignitor coil that feeds the front spark plug. might want to take the plug out or get a new one (they're cheap), and tigten up all the wire connections associated with the spark plug wires.

not sure why your speedo would be affected though? maybe water in your wire harness or in your headlight bucket?? Is your speedo wire from your front wheel damaged? have you changed your front tire recently?? could be you smashed the speedo pickup. its very fragile and basically sucks. new rotors for the speedo pickup are cheap from www.ronayers.com luckily.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
algreen said:
'99 Naked

I was riding along the other day and the bikes electrical system began to die. The gauges went limp, the odometer blanked out and the bike began to sputter. I was able to make it home on battery power. I checked all the wiring and I believe the problem was related to the RR, which appears to be working fine (overheating?)

Since repairing the problem, my speedo doesn't work. The tach works fine and when I start the bike first thing, I can see a small blip on the speedo needle as if it has power but no input.

Any thoughts?
RR's are notorious for working good until they are warmed up.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I know about the RR.

I thought there was a reset button or something to speed along the process. I'll start diagnosing each part over the weekend. Maybe it was just coincidence. :roll:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts