Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just finished my GSXR swap and have been anxiously waiting for a decent day to try it out which turned out to be today. Unfortuately the speedo never got above 0 which means I clearly did something wrong. I have the hall effect sensor mounted close to the magnets that are in the rotor but apparently that wasn't good enough. Suggestions?

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
I take it you never checked that it worked while it was still parked (spinning the front wheel by hand to see that the speedometer reads it)??
try doing that and adjusting the position of the sensor relative to the magnets.
check that all the magnets have the same polarity facing the same way.
check the wiring on the sensor to make sure there's voltage where its supposed to be.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So i'm still having issues. I checked the wires and I wired up the speedo to what i thought was the correct wiring. It seemed to work but the bike was dead so i was just spinning the tire but it registered. However, I jumped it today and went and drove it around and of course it doesn't work properly. It reads 0 if i am decelerating and during acceleration it reads super high. Now unless I got some sort of SV "X" model that can do 120 in 2nd gear, it doesnt seem to work...Maybe I have the wrong sensor?

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
on mine, i had to put the sensor about 1/16", 2mm... really close to the magnets, almost hitting them, i added-subtracted washers to taste..if the speedo worked when you spun the wheel, then, it's wired correctly, now it's just a spacing issue...

really a 1/16" either way WILL make a difference!!

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Getting closer... Now I have it wired correctly and spaced pretty freakin close to the sensor. Now its ready pretty much double what the actual speed is...I was driving down a 30mph road behind a car who was doing between 30-40 and i was reading around 80. The only thing I can think to be wrong is that I have a faulty sensor?

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
nope, closer and swing it fwd just a bit... it almost has to hit the mag.. once it's set, it does'nt change + it'll tell ya if that rotor is bent!!

my buddy did it with 2, but it was a little slow showing the speed 'cause of 2 les p/u points..
really, if you have any washers, can you remove 1 and still not 'hit' the rotor?

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah it's about as close as I can get it. I had 2 washers on it before and i could hear it scrape the sensor so I took it off and put one and its ridiculously close. Anyone think that Its possible that I have teh 12v and 6v switched? I assume that could be a reason for this. Or will it not read anything unless wired correctly?

Yes that is the same sensor I have except having a brown and yellow or whatever wire some had I have black/red black/white and plain black... The sensor did not come with any papers so I didnt know which was which.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Of course digi-key has no technicians on hand so I was unable to find out through them so maybe someone here knows. The sensor that is suggested on the forum here is the CH417-ND Hall Effect Sensor. The one that I had (I found my invoice) is the
480-2021-ND also Hall Effect Sensor. Anyone know if this could be my problem? I believe both are gear tooth hall effect sensors so I'm not sure if they really have any difference...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts