Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I need some help. Last week I posted my speedo problem and it got deleted. My question is how to trouble shoot a broken speedo. Ground is good and im getting 12v. What should the last wire read? My second question is can I get rid of it all togather and use a gsxr speedo pick up AND display. I know it has been done but cant find any info. Im sick of not having one.

M

·
0 Posts
There are plenty of site ( the ones above are very good) to hook up the speedo sensor and the speedo healer. It is fairly easy. The other part of your question, are you trying to use a GSXR guage package? I know that some people have done it, but I haven't seen any good posts on how to rewire the guages with more resistors or something. Hooking into your own display is easily explained in the speedo healer manual.

M

·
0 Posts
There are plenty of sites ( the ones above are very good) to hook up the speedo sensor and the speedo healer. It is fairly easy. The other part of your question, are you trying to use a GSXR guage package? I know that some people have done it, but I haven't seen any good posts on how to rewire the guages with more resistors or something. Hooking into your own display is easily explained in the speedo healer manual.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
There's no need for the carbed bike (if you have stock wheels), you can just fit the speedo drive to the rear axle. Very simple mod, you just grind down the brake hanger and replace the spacer between the brake hanger and the wheel with the speedo drive. I've got a writeup for the job, if you want it drop me a PM with your email address.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I finally got her working. Turns out the rotor was not tight in the wheel hub and it was spinning. I glued the rotor to the hub and it works! I still want to get some info on the gsxr speedo swap. Who has done it.

·
Registered
830 Posts
i think i miss-wired the speedo sensor when putting it back together as it doesn't work now. (put speedo sensor on rear wheel due to GSXR front end swap).

so i believe you have to get the wires right (i thought they were 3 signal lines and the order didn't matter... now i suspect there's a signal wire, a ground, and a 12V line)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I cant keep my rotor from spinning. I tryed some glue but it didnt hold. Any tips? Still no info on the gsxr speedo?

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
I'm still troubleshooting mine as well :) Though a mate is planning to make up a lil' billet spacer, which would be nice.

I'm not wanting to glue it, that's an easy fix but I'd need a spare rotor for each wheel, so instead I'm either going to nab one of those spacers, or build up a little castellation with JB Weld or similiar. The rubber washer worked fine for a few hundred miles then got itself pulled into the speedo drive.

·
Registered
830 Posts
yellow650 said:
i'm trying to jam in some rubber washers for some friction. :wink:
So it wasn't miswiring that was keeping my speedo from working, it was a the physical sensor.

I had one washer in between the bearings of the rear wheel and the speedo rotor (that little metal/plastic sleeve with the 4 prongs). I had shaved off 2mm from the rotor as per instructions in a write-up, but I wuoldn't reccomend doing that unless you think you need to.

I ended up smushing in 2 rather thick rubber washers that I cut to fit over the bearings. one side of the rubber washer touches ONLY the bearings of the wheel, the other side is pressed into by the speedo rotor's 4 prongs.

so far i've only been back and forth to work a few times, but it has been working great. not sure about the longevity of this fix, but for now it works great.

also haven't calibrated it yet, but from what I hear from others, it shoud be about right.

·
Registered
830 Posts
P.S.
my brother (khskenny) just press fit his speedo rotor into his rear wheel and it works great. he didn't shave antyhing off the rotor.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Always good to know... One of the SV650.org guys just tried that and broke off a lug :) So that's why I suggested shaving off a little, but only enough to fit- did you take 2mm off each prong?

I've found rubber washers tend over time to get snarled up into the sensor, but if might just be that I've not found hte perfect size yet.

·
Registered
830 Posts
i took 2mm off the side of the rotor away from the wheel. but maybe you need that to leave room for the springy rubber washers. i definetly packed in the washers... thigntening down the rear axle nut really squished the rotor into the washers. hopefully it's enough pressure to keep things in place, but not enough to make the washers break.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Ah, that works does it? I was worried that that would push the rotor into the sensor too much and prevent it from turning. Hmm, good news, thankls for that!

·
Registered
63 Posts
If you guy?s are interested, I'm working on a different way to mount the Speedo. I should have the bike running this weekend so I'll let you know how it goes. I?m sure I have a few unexpected bugs to work out but, it shouldn?t be too difficult.

The total cost is ~$50 and the only down side is you?ll have to clip your stock Speedo cable (so you can use the connector). Although, it shouldn?t be a problem to switch it back if you want.

Here's a Pic

Let me know what you think

1 - 20 of 38 Posts