Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 SV650S, 700 miles, stock sprocket and new tires.
Speedo shows 10 mph SLOWER then any other vehicle. Pace it with other bikes, -10, pace it with a Dodge truck, -10.
And the Stealer-ship says "That's within legal limits and all bikes are off.. BS!!!!!

Paced it with a BMW 1100, 2 - Yamahas FZ1's, a Yamaha FZ6, a Suzuki GSR, and a Harley.. All bikes said 60 mph, the 650 said 50.

To me this is BS!!! You're telling me they can't get it any closer then that? So what else is "close enough"? Wish I would have known this before I bought the bike!!!

ANd I thought the Stealer-ship was better then others, had actually heard good things about them, guess not, what crap, I guess all shops are the same.

Anyone have similar or different experiences?

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
All bike speedos are off cause of some european regulation that requires that a speedo cannot read slower than the actual speed. so there is an error introduced, the SV speedo is driven by the front wheel and the amount of error is dependent on the actual circumference of your front tire, as the tire wears, the amount of error get greater

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:-\
What?
But it does... Everyone else traveling at 70 mph, with their Speedo's saying 70 mph. SV traveling at 60, with Speedo saying 70

·
Registered
326 Posts
Word is out on the street that a 70 series front tire cures this and I concur.

·
Registered
200 Posts
sittonb said:
Paced it with a BMW 1100, 2 - Yamahas FZ1's, a Yamaha FZ6, a Suzuki GSR, and a Harley.. All bikes said 60 mph, the 650 said 50.
I've never heard of one reading slower than actual speed.  I checked mine with a GPS - mine reads 60 mph when the GPS says about 58, 30 when the GPS says 28 or 29.  I have the stock Metzler Z4 on the front (2000 Naked).

·
Registered
198 Posts
ive never paced my sv, but my intruder 800 says about 85 when a friends car was going 75-80. it definitely reads faster than actual speed.

a dealer once quoted me "seven percent" as the error window, which seems about right.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sounds like a larger diameter tire then stock to me.... Does the same exact thing with cars/trucks.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Via GPS I have found my speedo to be 10% optimistic. So 60 is actually 54, 110 is actually 99 etc.

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
Quick fix, buy a small inexpensive GPS unit that gives you MPH.... I think I saw a topic posted on this board for one under $50, I may be wrong, but I am for sure that it was under $100. Thus the speedo error will lead you into the actual vs indicated debate, and thats one place you dont wanna go.

Woody

·
Registered
32 Posts
Ivan, I believe he was refering to an optomistic speedo like 99 percent of the SV speedo's. Sittonb's problem appears to be the opposite.

·
Registered
114 Posts
jason b said:
Ivan,  I believe he was refering to an optomistic speedo like 99 percent of the SV speedo's.  Sittonb's problem appears to be the opposite.
Sittonb has me confused. Probably a communications problem but in one post he says:"Everyone else traveling at 70 mph, with their Speedo's saying 70 mph. SV traveling at 60, with Speedo saying 70". If this is the case than he is like the rest of us, speedo reads higher than actual speed. Whatever, my advice is to forget the speedo and go with or ahead of the traffic flow. Thanks, Mike.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Or you can do what i did and buy a speedo healer for less that $100 and program it to fix and sppedo error. Mine was reading 6 mph faster than what i was going

·
Registered
326 Posts
After switching to a 70 series front tire I am within 50 feet in a one mile speedometer test point on the freeway.  That is pretty damn close.

I never tried it with the 60 series but I know it was wrong.  Read waayy fast.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
I found that at a hundred mine overread by about 10mph (testing via Veypor, which in itself isn' 100% accurate but is considerably more so than stock). However, when I did the rear wheel speedo swap I found this difference fell to only a couple of mph, which is nice.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts