Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

Speedo drive sensor

4K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  J-Rod 
#1 ·
Does anyone know if a 2nd gen speedo drive will fit and work correctly on a 1st gen?

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

#3 ·
2005+ will work, '03 and '04 will not.
You sure about that? Later-year 2nd gens had more magnets, vs 4 with the earlier years (like 03-04)
Me thinks you just flip-flopped the years ;)

Does anyone know if a 2nd gen speedo drive will fit and work correctly on a 1st gen?
The actual drive unit or just the magnet/rotor? Not sure if it even makes a difference, but the magnet/rotor is usually the item that is broken when your speedo stops working.

It depends on what year 2nd gen you're referring to.
If it's just the magnet/rotor (p/n 34983-21E00) then beyond a specific year (not sure, do a search) the rotor has more magnets vs earlier years (like 1st gen) there's only 4. Those later-model versions won't work.
If it's the housing you're referring to, I'd be surprised if they're any different so they should work.

#10 ·
Speedo and odo work off the same input. Are you saying you don't see any odo reading? or is is just not moving up due to the speedo issue?

If the rotor is good... did you check the wire all the way upto and including the connector? Make sure it isn`t kinked or damaged.

Worst case, ebay can get you one for relatively cheap. If you have no reading on your clocks, you have another issue.

#11 ·
Sorry for the confusion, odo has my milage displayed, but does not increase. I re checked the rotor and checked it against a pic of another and the plastic lugs are broken, they look all there but there shorter than theyre supposed to be so dont grip in the wheel, so as a temporary measure, i bonded the rotor to the wheel, but it still did not work! Ive checked the wiring to where it splits under the tank and checked the connections to the clocks also, all seems ok

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.