Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

I just picked up a blue 2001 SV650 the other day and the speedo does not work. Previous owner said it just needs a new cable (can I trust him? idk.) I have read on the forums that sometimes the speedo cable can be slightly unplugged causing the speedo to not function. So when I got home from work today I decided to try and poke around and see if I can tell if it was just loose or not, so I followed the cable from the sensor all the way up into the headlight, Is that how it is supposed to be? Because if I follow the cable from the speedometer into the headlight its a bundle of cables instead of a single cable. So my questions is, if it was unplugged, would it be unplugged behind/inside the headlight or in the back of the speedo?

Sorry if that is a little confusing, I just need to get that fixed ASAP!

TIA

·
Registered
17 Posts
First of all... Welcome to the club!

I find it unlikely that there would be anything wrong with the cable itself...either the one coming from the speedometer, or the one from the speedometer drive. It is entirely possible that the speedometer connection was tampered with at some point or has become unplugged. Just remove the front of the headlight (two phillips head screws at the 4 o'clock and 8 o'clock position it's super-easy) and take a look! It seems much more likely though that the speedo drive (on the front wheel) or that the speedometer itself may be malfunctioning. Good luck and let us know what you find.

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
First off, welcome to SVR. I'd recommend searching around for a download of the service manual. Between that and checking the parts fiche available on parts websites (bikebandit, cheapcycleparts, etc) you can determine where things go and what they look like.

The speedometer sensor in the front wheel is likely broken. There's a rotor with magnets on it that is known to break as it's just some plastic with magnets on it. If you follow the speedometer wires (its not a mech-driven unit, it's electronic) I believe it attaches to a plug behind the steering head (under the gas tank).
It may also be a bad connection there.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys! I will take a look at that as soon as I can. So if all of the wiring checks out, do I look at the rotor next? Or the speedometer itself?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts