Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 SV1K. I get speed wobble right as I peak 100 mph. I hear that speed wobble is common on these bikes.

Anyone else experiencing this?

I'd like to know if there is any specific issues relative to this bike that may have an impact on this. I'd like to correct it as much as possible prior to spending $500 on a steering damper.

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
I have no speed wobble on mine. It is very stable. I’d say poorly adjusted suspension, which would include fork oil weight and level.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
are your steering head bearings in good shape?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have springs in my forks from Traxxion Dynamics. I also did the work of putting them in myself. I used a food scale to measure the oil for each. Aside from that it's a pretty stock bike.

As far as tuning the suspension, I have both sides set evenly but on a soft street setup. I'll try stiffening it up and see if I get any changes.

I haven't checked the bearings specifically. The bike has low miles but it is old. I will take a look at them and see what I find.

I have replaced the oil in my steering damper but it is the factory one.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Obvious question... but how are your TIRES? You say the bike is "old".
Wheel weights on and correct?

Bike ever been down?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I fought that battle for 9 years before getting it ironed out. My high speed weave was tougher than usual because my superbike bars shift weight up and back lightening the front. Steering head bearings weren't much of a factor. Mine are high quality All Balls brand needle bearing that never need adjustment. Front fork preload and rebound didn't take care of it either even when set to race spec firmness. What fixed the weave was setting proper sag on the shock along with a very aggressive rebound setting (I'm at .6 of a turn out from full in). Handling is extremely good right now and almost but not quite on par with my other sportbikes - 2002 Ducati 900 Sport and 2000 Triumph TT600.

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
No speed wobble on my 2004. As stated, poor suspension adjustment, head bearings. Those are the two most common cause of head shake

1 - 9 of 9 Posts