Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I actually have to give a speech, and i chose to do it over fixing my motorcycle (i love my SV). Do any of you have any suggestions? or main points?

I am basically giving a 5 min speech on
1. removing/replacing the air filter (i could go into some detail about the carburetors)
2. replacing both spark plugs
3. and just give some general tips and how to keep maintenance easy

any thing i should mention?
My bike is a SV 650 2000 model. K&N air filter. I could go into detail about the carb's but what i noticed is that the carburetor body's are split. Most of the time... i guess in in-lines and cars, they have about 4 housings in one body all in a line. I guess they are split because it's a "v" and it's for simplicity to split them? any help would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I did a speech in college about riding motorcycles. Took a clip from the track to illustrate countersteering. It is hard to talk for only 5 minutes on so many topics. I suggest narrowing your scope, and finding some subpoints in the single topic

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I think they are right^^^ compare bikes to cars and gear, how people should look twice before leaving a stop light or sign. Make them aware. A few pics of proper gear. Just don't scare them away from ever riding, good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
381 Posts
People actually like the gear discussion. At least whenever I did my speech everyone was surprised to find that the gear had armor in it and my teacher asked if they used metal plates for extra protection lol. Plus having a sexy helmet gets girls looking at you if you're in need ;), but I'm sure you already knew that one. Showing that you actually know what you're talking about is a bonus in that department.

You may find out that people really enjoy hearing you talk about motorcycles if you don't do it boring. I just stood up there and talked without writing anything down ahead of time for my speech. Just had three points I was going to talk about...I don't even know if I hit all three of them or turned one of my topics into multiple sections. I possibly did this with gear...All I really remember is gear and countersteering. Maybe I talked about horsepower and acceleration?

Either way if you stand up and talk like you would explain something to a friend you'll do fine. Plus you'll be in the mindset that you're having a conversation and be ready to answer questions.

Out of curiosity may I ask where you're giving the speech?

·
Registered
212 Posts
I think they are right^^^ compare bikes to cars and gear, how people should look twice before leaving a stop light or sign. Make them aware. A few pics of proper gear. Just don't scare them away from ever riding, good luck and have fun.
Not sure what the audience is like, but in my experience people with little-to-no mechanical or vehicle knowledge are pretty blown away that the lever on the left bar is the clutch and not a brake... :vroom:

Shift pattern, throttle, front and rear brakes, general rules about a street legal motorcycle safety/gear, lane position, countersteering and you have more than 5 minutes of material

1 - 14 of 14 Posts