Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok today I finally changed my spark plugs. I will not say how long they have been in the bike :(. When I pulled them out the tips were completely black and the threads looked a little oily. Is this ok?
Now that I put the new ones in should my bike get a better gas mileage and run smoother? Seems like the past few thousand miles, bike is getting terrible gas milage and running rough. Also when coming to stops I can smell exhuast gas from the pipe.
Just hoping changing these plugs will help.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Did you get the correct heat range spark plugs? I prefer NGK over Denso, NGK CR8E but if it fouls or looks wet then replace with NGK CR7E that should cure it if not than you have bigger problems and would check the compression and spark.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
change plugs every 11k or soon if you feel sluggish or hard starting.

S

·
0 Posts
From your description of the old plugs, sounds like the engine is running a little rich. Keep an eye on the new ones to make sure there isn't something causing the plugs to foul. Ideally, plugs should have a nice tan/brownish color.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
From your description of the old plugs, sounds like the engine is running a little rich. Keep an eye on the new ones to make sure there isn't something causing the plugs to foul. Ideally, plugs should have a nice tan/brownish color.
Here is, a not so good picture of my old plugs. When you say "keep a yey out" do you mean I should pull them frequently to check if they are ok?

S

·
0 Posts
Yeah, I would remove at least one of the plugs in a week or so and check to see how the cylinder is burning. In the mean time, like Gerard7aa suggested, it would be wise to check the condition of your air filter. A clogged air filter will certainly make the engine run rich, and lead to plug fouling.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts