Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The shop manual, which I just downloaded, says that plugs should be replaced either at 7,500 miles, or at 12 months..can they really be serious? Does anyone really do this? If so, how did the plugs look? Seems to me that frequent plug replacement is a great way to strip a head.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I just went over 8,000 miles so i was about to take a look at the maintanence schedule myself.. if it is supposed to be replaced at 7,500 miles I would guess that out bikes come with copper plugs or something cheap.

Not that there is anything wrong with copper plugs they work just as well, you just need to change them more frequently.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I replaced mine at 16000 miles (end of last season)

First time! I think I might be a slacker, LOL

FYI, they were still perfect and showed no gap change or extreme wear.

Regards
Darryl

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
they are not cheap, about 6 bucks a pop. i changed mine at 19000 miles and they looked fine, had to use a magnifying glass to see a tiny bit of rounding on the center electrode. the bike ran the same with new plugs.

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
Follow the suggested replacement or do it sooner - the better you take care of your bike, the longer it will last.

·
Registered
91 Posts
u dont have to worry about freqeunt plug replacment on any engine as long as use the proper tourqe and anisize is added insurance, im going to replace mine every year or at least once a month as im riding it now because of the stabil that the prevous owner and myself will be putting in,

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
u dont have to worry about freqeunt plug replacment on any engine as long as use the proper tourqe and anisize is added insurance, im going to replace mine every year or at least once a month as im riding it now because of the stabil that the prevous owner and myself will be putting in,
It's a wear item - a wear item with many factors in which the amount of life will change.

·
Registered
91 Posts
mine will be sitting on a stand for 11 months out of the year because im only state side for maybe 2 to 4 weeks every 12 months for work thats why mine will be more frequnt

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Agree, but I would still be concerned when pulling them out. Why should the SV engine (street riding) need such a frequent change schedule?
I like Carroll Smith's way of working with threaded components. If it's stuck, give it a firm whack to dislodge the threads. When putting it back in spin it backwards for the threads to fall together when their openings mesh up, then stop and tighten it. I've had a few thread nightmares, but haven't had any since I started taking Smith's advise.

Oh, and antiseize is good, but be very wary about the torque you use. Plugs are barely tight at all. I have to keep telling myself that since I can't actually fit my torque wrench in there. Using antiseize means you should use less torque since it allows the fastener to stretch more with less resistance from threads. Usually you have to overcome the friction in the threads to get the right stretch. Stretch too much and you'll screw something up.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I like Carroll Smith's way of working with threaded components. If it's stuck, give it a firm whack to dislodge the threads. When putting it back in spin it backwards for the threads to fall together when their openings mesh up, then stop and tighten it. I've had a few thread nightmares, but haven't had any since I started taking Smith's advise.

Oh, and antiseize is good, but be very wary about the torque you use. Plugs are barely tight at all. I have to keep telling myself that since I can't actually fit my torque wrench in there. Using antiseize means you should use less torque since it allows the fastener to stretch more with less resistance from threads. Usually you have to overcome the friction in the threads to get the right stretch. Stretch too much and you'll screw something up.
Very well said!

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's a wear item - a wear item with many factors in which the amount of life will change.
True, but the difference of 100K miles (cars) and 7.5K just doesn't jive. IMO

i changed mine at 19000 miles and they looked fine, had to use a magnifying glass to see a tiny bit of rounding on the center electrode. the bike ran the same with new plugs.
Something to consider.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I'm thinking in cars your supposed to change the plugs every 50k or so, depending on the use. But think about the amount of work a bike engine does compared to a car engine. Lot more rpms so a lot more usage. I think the 7.5k miles is too little but it doesnt seem outlandish by any means.

·
Registered
253 Posts
True, but the difference of 100K miles (cars) and 7.5K just doesn't jive. IMO
and if you actually leave the plugs in your aluminum-headed modern automobile engine for 100,000 miles, there's a significant chance they'll be frozen in place 'when the time comes', and you'll be facing a VERY expensive removal/repair operation. plugs are cheap, replacement is quick and easy, anti-seize is your friend, LOW torque is your mantra...

cheers,

·
Banned
2,973 Posts
The best way to get the most out of your plugs is change by visual inspection. Check the electrode for wear. Re-gap if needed. If it looks worn down, replace. If not, WTF replace good plugs? :dontknow:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts