Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a luggage rack and a windshield for a 2008 SV650.

I want a windshield that works, I don't care how it looks.

I'd appreciate a source for both.

Jon

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I'd guess that Twisted Throttle would be a good place to start. There aren't a lot of options for aftermarket windscreens "that work" other than the Givi and the Puig Touring. I bought the Puig and it's the last one that I have seen available since which leaves the Givi.

You'll find all the luggage you'll need there, too. I'd recommend the SW Motech racks with the Givi boxes rather than the Givi racks. They leave you with options that the Givi's don't though both are high quality.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I just bought a zero gravity touring and it works great. Under 100 bucks.

I actually walked in to a kawasaki dealer and bought it so there are options out there and places locally to purchase.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Check out the following. I have one, and it works better than the large screen I used to have on my old cruiser. Knocks the wind off your chest and leaves the head in clean air (no buffeting).

http://www.laminarlip.com/sv.php

Look at the bottom of the page.
Are the LaminarLip thick like the OEM screen with no gaps?

Jonn, do a search on SVR as both racks/luggage and screens have had many, many threads on them.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I've never actually seen an OEM screen, strange as that may sound. I can post some close-up pics of my screen, if that would help.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I've never actually seen an OEM screen, strange as that may sound. I can post some close-up pics of my screen, if that would help.
Maybe I'm reading more into that statement than necessary but OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer so an OEM windscreen would be a standard windscreen made by Suzuki that originally came with the bike...just like the windscreens on the site you linked. If I had to guess, I'd say 80% of the SV's on the road still have their original OEM screens. The Laminair connects to the OEM windscreen.

If I misunderstood your comment...my apologies.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
I went to the page and they did look like the OEM shield with a lip attached. So do you just get the lip or the screen and lip as a unit. I ask because the front lip mount looks to be attached by a drilled hole in the OEM sheild?

EDIT: Read more at the site and the front attachment is adhesive I believe.

·
Iron Butt Moderator
9,271 Posts
Givi, SW-Motech and Ventura are the only racks that I know of for the SV, and I'm not sure Ventura makes one.

I don't know much about screens for the N model.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Maybe I'm reading more into that statement than necessary but OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer so an OEM windscreen would be a standard windscreen made by Suzuki that originally came with the bike...just like the windscreens on the site you linked. If I had to guess, I'd say 80% of the SV's on the road still have their original OEM screens. The Laminair connects to the OEM windscreen.

If I misunderstood your comment...my apologies.
No, you didn't misunderstand. Just that I'm not often in the Suzuki dealer's store, and when I am, they never have a naked SV on the floor. I'm the only SV in the crowd that I ride with, and when I spot an SV around it's usually on the road, so I haven't paid much attention to the screen.

Anyway, I bought this bike as a used 07 about 8 months ago, and the Laminar Lip was already on it. When I first laid eyes on it, I thought, "That's gotta go." But as soon as I rode it, I realized what a great job it did. As far as fitment goes, there are no gaps, finish is good, and everything works great so far. Don't know if that answers the question, though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts