Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All -

I followed Mr. Black's process for removing the baffle from the stock can, and I recorded the sound of the bike (stationary) at all three stages.  (2005 SV650n)

1) Stock
2) Holes drilled
3) Baffle removed

I left the mic in the same place, and changed no setting whatsoever between recordings, so the differences you hear are all due to the mods made.

The process was easy, and the results are really pretty great for about 5 bucks worth of parts and 45 minutes of my time.

Have a listen here:  http://sundaybender.com/archives/2005/10/07/645-miles-baffle-bashing/

Let me know what you think.

Thanks!

·
Registered
456 Posts
I had the same "chunk" of metal come off with my restrictor. Next for me is to try it with a 1000 Snorkel or no snorkel at all.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Good job on the clips.

A little question on the process:
How far in did you hammer the baffle before it broke free? I hammered mine in about 3 inches and it never broke free. Appears to be wedged in there pretty good. I've just left it that way since it sounds about like yours with the baffle removed.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
Sounds great. I agree with everyone that you did a good job recording it as well.

Personally, I really enjoy my bike not being loud. I like hearing the motor itself. Same goes for my car. I like to hear the turbo and motor very well so I have a better idea of what they're doing should something go wrong.

Josh

·
Registered
456 Posts
dtownmtb said:
Good job on the clips.

A little question on the process:
How far in did you hammer the baffle before it broke free? I hammered mine in about 3 inches and it never broke free. Appears to be wedged in there pretty good. I've just left it that way since it sounds about like yours with the baffle removed.
Mine was driven in about 2 inches, which had me worried. However, I recalled someone mentioning spraying the restrictor with WD-40, did that, and it came out no problem. Hopefully you have marked both the exhaust and restrictor to have an idea of alignment when removing the restrictor, it definitely makes things easier.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Nice clips. I was surprised at the difference between just drilled and completely de-baffled. It makes the drilled sound like a leaky muffler.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I really like the sound of the exhaust with just the holes drilled. How many and how big were the holes? Any tips if I want to just do the holes and leave it at that?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
dtownmtb said:
How far in did you hammer the baffle before it broke free? I hammered mine in about 3 inches and it never broke free.
I definitely had to hammer it in pretty far, but it was not three inches. it was just over two inches when it came loose.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: Sound Clips!! - Stock can, w/holes, and de-baffled UPDATE INSIDE

ibAdam said:
I really like the sound of the exhaust with just the holes drilled. How many and how big were the holes? Any tips if I want to just do the holes and leave it at that?
If you want to do just the holes, My only suggestion would be to use a punch so that you can get the holes as accurate as possible, I found that the bit wants to "walk" a bit on the flange.

I drilled holes as close to each other as I could, all the way around the perimiter of the flange. I used a 3/16" bit so that I could have a little wiggle room between the pipes.

All - Thanks for all the compliments on the clips - my "other" hobby is working in my recording studio, so I just happened to have some gear that was well-suited to the task. Heh.

After Riding Impression:

I can't say I notice any gains, but as I said, I am still in break-in, so I am keepin' it below 7500 rpm anyhow, where no gains would likely be.

Generally, the bike is DEFINITELY louder. People notice me coming now. Under hard accelleration at low revs, it sounds WAY WAY meaner and more... dare I say it... "Twin-y." Almost cruiser-esque. Weird.

At higher revs, the sound smooths out and has a nice tone. At part to low throttle (maintaining speed) it is not nearly as loud as I feared it would be - commuting is no problem.

The only downside is that there is a fair amount of backpopping/gurgling at if you get off the throttle at low rpms. Depending on perspective it sounds either like a MotoGP race-tuned monster (awesome), or a "runnin' a bit rich" can't-dial-in-my-A/F-ratio cruiser (not so awesome).

I dig it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Re: Sound Clips!! - Stock can, w/holes, and de-baffled UPDATE INSIDE

Hwy84 said:
The only downside is that there is a fair amount of backpopping/gurgling at if you get off the throttle at low rpms. Depending on perspective it sounds either like a MotoGP race-tuned monster (awesome), or a "runnin' a bit rich" can't-dial-in-my-A/F-ratio cruiser (not so awesome).
I have that same backpopping/gurgling after doing this mod and have wondered if it was really running rich or just sounds that way. It doesn't seem like this mod could make the bike run rich. Anyone have an opinion on that?

Suppose I'll have to pull the plugs to find out for sure.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Snap, crackle, pop and that sounds like a pair valve system working perfectly. Just like its suppose too, only thing is you can't hear it with the stock can internals intact.
Cheers! 8)

·
Registered
326 Posts
Glad it worked out for you and that you are happy. I know I was when I did the restrictorectomy.

I am even happier with the baffle ectomy and shortened can. It makes me procrastinate towards buying a fancy hey look at me exhaust. hehe

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
The popping and backfiring on decel is caused by the PAIR valve, doing its job as stated by A1A.  I dont really have too much trouble with it...only in 3rd gear, and only after accelerating hard followed immediately by fairly hard braking.  I can almost make it backfire on command :)

It's just extra noise, and doesnt cause any problems whatsoever. I sorta like it, actually. But, if you want to get rid of the popping and backfiring, you can remove the PAIR valve.  I havent done it, but it's been done and discussed on this forum about a billion times, do a search for "PAIR valve" and you'll find plenty of info.

chewy sells a kit on his website - http://www.chewys-stuff.co.uk/

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hwy84,
I believe you should be able to plug off the PAIR valve hose in two places. By cutting the hose and installing the proper size bolts into each hose section. This will keep you from having to replace the PAIR valve system. ;)

B

·
0 Posts
i was a bit skeptical of doing this mod but now that i've heard the difference i think i'm going to go ahead and give it a try. i ride with a harley guy half the time and it's a bit difficult to hear what my bike is doing. hopefully this will help me to know what's happening. thanks for the sound clips.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Guys, i have to say, this post along with http://forum.svrider.com/index.php?topic=41140.0, are some of the best posts i have seen. i have been looking for something like this for a couple months now, i like the engine sound but god damn that is a quiet exhaust. I've heard a few bits and pieces of what to do else where but i didn't want to try it without all of the info. sound clips sealed the deal, that baffle is coming the fu(k out! thanks guys!
Naked......Always

P.S.
i just purchased a rear Michelin pilot power for my '05.... if i only would have known before :(  i would recommend this tire to anyone. i absolutely LOVE it! :eek:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Nice job on the sound clips - I've done the same mod with my bike (exact same as yours, even the colour) and love it.  Aftermarket exhaust has moved down on the priority list ;)

Also like the looks of your fender elimination job - is that a custom bracket you had made up for the licence plate/signals?

·
Registered
6 Posts
have i got news for you guys! i just performed this"operation" last night, it took a total of about 15 min and made the exhaust sound 300% better! THE BEST mod for a total of $30 for 4lb mini sledge, 1 1/2' i.d. pipe nipple, 1/2' drill bit, and WD-40 (which i ended up not even using). again, BEST MOD!
My hat is off to whoever thought this up. Thank you! ;D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts