Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I was hoping that someone on this forum may be able to help, but down to business...

Yesterday I was out on my Suzuki sv650, 2002, I was mainly in A roads (country lanes) and I had just stopped for fuel, I noticed a smell that was like rotten eggs, I didn’t take too much notice as I believed it was coming from somewhere around the pumps.

I filled up, paid and was on my way, all at this point was fine. I was riding through some country lanes when all of a sudden the engine began to misfire; I have had some issues with this problem so I pushed on.

Then I noticed the fuel warning light was on, which I found odd as I had just filled up, but was overtaking a car so had to again push on, then the Speedo and Rev-counter was jumping from o to max and then back again to 0, it did this about 4 – 5 times when I had to slow down for a junction, the bike died.
No electronics...nothing, but there was still this smell of rotten eggs, not as noticeable it was dissipating over time?

I have checked the battery, fuses in fuse box, fuses in starter relay, the turn signal / stand relay / diodes...all with a meter reader, but there was still a slight smell of rotten eggs coming from around the battery, fuse box area, very hard to pinpoint...was it the turn signal / stand relay? I have current running through from battery to starter motor, seams that the back end is all live, just no ignition or instruments lighting up.

The thing that keeps going through my mind is why did the fuel warning light come on (it did go off) and what was causing the speedo and rev counter to ***** before everything went dead?

Has anyone experienced this problem or may be able to help!
...John!

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
Could be a bad R/R(Regulator/Rectifier) or the stator. Could be your battery as well. What's the voltage of the battery at rest? The starter motor cranks normally but the engine won't start? If your R/R is overcharging the battery, you could ruin the CDI box as well as the stator. Rotten eggs is sulfuric acid, coming from the battery.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply.

No I have no ignitation or power to the front lights or rest of bike. Interesting that the smell might be battry. Using a multimetter you can detect current across the battry, throught the fuses and connecting wires?

Would a diying battry cause the fule light to come on, the speedo, rev-counter to spike while riding the bike?
...John!

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
You said that you checked the 30A fuse at the starter relay. There are two, one is a spare. Are you sure the fuse is okay? If you have no power to the bike, it's either the 30A fuse or the ignition switch or the kill switch. Check for power at the kill switch or ignition switch and recheck the fuse. Also check the connectors at the R/R, pull them apart and check for arcing or signs of overheating. A faulty charging system or dying battery can cause all sorts of electrical mayhem.

I'm not sure about your question, but using a multimeter set to 20VDC, you can check the voltage at the battery and anywhere else. A fully charged battery at rest should show 12.5-13VDC.

You say you have current running to the starter motor, does this mean the starter motor spins and cranks the engine when you hit the start button? Or, is the bike now totally dead?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi everyone,

Thank you all for your suggestions. I have been looking at my bike today and tried jumping my bike with a friend’s car...it started up. Eureka I thought until it all happened over again.

The bike misfired really badly, the speedo and rev counter spiked and then it stopped. This time I had lights, ignition, indicators, engine turned over, but it wouldn’t start.

I started too checked out the system, and removed the spark plug from the rear cylinder, pushed the plug onto the HT lead, turned the engine over and couldn’t find a spark. ..the same with the front cylinder.

I passed a current down the HT lead and it was fine. Plenty of fuel through the carbs, just no spark at the plugs. Battery seams dead don’t know what could have cooked the battery, could be a faulty over charging system, will have the battery checked out on Monday to make sure it’s OK or had it.

Light has faded so packed in until first light tomorrow. If you have any ideas I would be very grateful for your input...john!

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
A failed R/R could have overcharged the battery and ruined it. Hopefully the same didn't happen to the CDI ignitor box, but maybe all you need is a new battery then a careful check of the R/R. At 5Krpm, the voltage at the battery should be ~13-15.5VDC. Any voltage over that is too high and the bike should be shut off.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well I'd be guessing battery #1, they just go sometimes. But sometimes something helps them...r/r... either way sounds like you'll need a new one. You could jump it with a car, leave the leads attached and see if it runs better.... but thats not ideal. a smoked battery can do all kinds of weird things.

Hi everyone,

Thank you all for your suggestions. I have been looking at my bike today and tried jumping my bike with a friend’s car...it started up. Eureka I thought until it all happened over again.

The bike misfired really badly, the speedo and rev counter spiked and then it stopped. This time I had lights, ignition, indicators, engine turned over, but it wouldn’t start.

I started too checked out the system, and removed the spark plug from the rear cylinder, pushed the plug onto the HT lead, turned the engine over and couldn’t find a spark. ..the same with the front cylinder.

I passed a current down the HT lead and it was fine. Plenty of fuel through the carbs, just no spark at the plugs. Battery seams dead don’t know what could have cooked the battery, could be a faulty over charging system, will have the battery checked out on Monday to make sure it’s OK or had it.

Light has faded so packed in until first light tomorrow. If you have any ideas I would be very grateful for your input...john!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Having had R/R problems myself I think it is probably this.

The smell is the acid being boiled, and this must surely be from excessive voltage from the R/R.

Check the R/R and see what voltage is being output from it, otherwise if you replace the battery and it is the R/R then it will just kill your new battery.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi

I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone for their replies. It was indeed the R/R that sent out excessive voltage that cooked the battery.
But starting my bike with my friends car only burnt out the CDI, a problem that's unique to this make and model of bike...so don’t ever think of starting your bike with jumper leads until you know that the rest of the system is OK...at over $600 for a genuine Suzuki part it’s not worth it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts