Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

Sore Shoulders on Lowered Bike

1K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  subiegy 
#1 ·
So now that it's almost time to put my bike away for the winter, I am starting to plan little projects I can do while it's parked in the garage. One thing I might want to tackle is the ergonomics/comfort to open up some road trip options for next season.

My bike is currently lowered 1" in the back with lowering links and the forks are lowered .7" through the triple tree. I wanted to keep the geometry as close to stock as possible without risking the forks bottoming out. I am happy with the way the bike handles the way it sits but after about an hour or two of riding, I start to get tired and I put more weight on my arms, therefore making my shoulders and upper back hurt. My arms are almost completely stretched out in order to reach the bars so this combined with the angle makes it uncomfortable for long rides. Would raising the front back to stock height help take some weight off my arms?

Before anybody mentions it, raising the whole bike back to stock height is not an option. My seat is also trimmed about an inch and the bike is currently about as tall as I would find "comfortable." I am considering some clip-on risers but I wanted to get some input first before deciding what I want to do.

#4 ·
I would prefer to keep the clip ons because I still want some forward lean in my riding position. I also prefer the looks of clip ons over bars. I'm wondering if raising the forks back to stock height will have a noticeable effect on handling since it will no longer match the lowered rear. Might have to just give it a shot and see how it feels I guess...

#12 ·
Its just your body getting used to it. If you dont adjust anything and keep riding im sure your pains will go away completely in a few months.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.