Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've just recently decided that its time to start riding. I've been contemplating it for over a year and finally got the "partial yes" from the wife. My MSF course date is next month so I'm just browsing on which bike to get. Here's a little info about me. I'm 28, 5'5", and 140lbs light. Yes i know, I'm a small guy. I've had my fair trouble with cars, went through the "I'm a fast badass driver" stage, then eventually settled down. Got married and now have a 17mo/daughter. Last car I owned was an 06' Mitsu Evolution and i thoroughly enjoyed carving turns with it.

The 08'-09' ninja250's originally caught my attention, however I realize that I probably will need more power to cruise on the highway and having that extra bit of power to getaway from difficult situations is a bonus. With that in mind, I am now considering an sv650. My intentions on getting a bike is to enjoy the freedoms of riding and not necessarily for speed or looks.

Are there any short riders here who have any problems with foot placement? I know for sure that I won't be able to flat foot this bike and I just wanted your opinions. Thanks

Wil

·
Registered
181 Posts
Dingleberries,
You could use lowering links. You could also remove foam from the seat also.

When ready take the wife outside & show her your new SV. :hug:

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
I would'nt say the SV is a bad start to riding, but it is'nt the best like a ninja250. It depends on how aware you are of the controls and exactly how fast this bike or any bike can mangle you up if your not paying attention.

That being said you can get aluminium lowering links on ebay from svracingparts.com for like $18 and just slide the forks up in the clamps, or if you are worried about changing the handling of the bike take your seat to an upholstry shop and have them shave it down for you and possibly add some more comfy foam, you can usually get that done for around $50-$60.

Good luck with the MSF and aquisition of your new bike, I'd seriously recommend frame sliders, parking lot practice, and a new riding buddy to give you pointers and let you in on knowledge only a rider can show you.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Hey dingleberries.. not to worry, you'll be just fine on the SV. I'm a woman, 5'4", 120lbs. Had hubby adjust my rear shock to the softest setting, adjust the front forks, got a Sergeant seat and my balls of my feet touch on both sides. Do highly recommend some sort of framesliders. Good luck on your MSF course and finding the right bike for you.

·
Premium Member
4,844 Posts
I would recommend a used Ninja 250. Learn to ride it first, sell it after you have mastered it and get an SV.

My 2 cents worth...

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
It is true that with a lower seat and possibly some lowering links, you will be fine on the sv. However, consider a gs500 too. I started on one. It feels much lower then the SV. Also, '03 SV is 1.5 inches higher then all others. (i'm 5'7 and have one and it is fine for me but another inch less in the inseam and it could be precarious.)

·
Registered
997 Posts
The SV is fast... not for a motorcycle but compared to any car, its very fast.

The Ninja 250 is just like most cars, average 0-60 time, can cruise at 90mph all day long but it is fairly spun up, etc... etc...

I would buy a used 250 for a coupel grand and ride that for a few months then sell it. It will give you a lot of experience and help you decide what you want.

I think riding one would be a blast, but eventually I would miss the power of my XB12Ss (Buell)... I however am not a speed freak and definetly didnt need the power my old R6 put out, rather the way it put it out (HP is about equal to the buell and the buell has twice the torque!)...

But seriously I have never ridden a 250 but they are not as slow as people say, its an extremely slow motorcycle but compared to any car its a quick nimble bike and the new ones are SEXY.

Have you looked into the Buells at all? The XB12Scg is very VERY nimble with its short wheelbase (2" shorter then my Ss), is MUCH lower, has top of the line suspension (not as much travel as a standard or as my Ss but still gets the job done) and braking system that will blow the SV out of the water and its incredibly unique. I never got any comments about the R6 but daily I am told how hot my bike is now, or asked, "Is it italian?" or various other comments.

Also with a proper exhaust it sounds WICKED... I love the double take I get when I crack the throttle like a harley and people see that it looks nothing like one...

Hmm I think I am going to go for a ride now just to hear it :).

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
i have to agree with what jraice has said.

not only are the 2008+ ninja 250s a blast, but they have pretty good resale value, they are definitely popular. the dealership i work out ordered around 50 of them last year, and they all were gone by middle of june. i'm thinking of stepping down to a 250 if i can find a nice enough one.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Any 250 would be great, go pre 08 if you think you will definetly upgrade or post if you think there is a chance you will hold onto it...

I would love to ride one in the twisties, thinking about it makes me miss my 50cc...

There are roads were aggressive riding on the R6 or the Buell was 1st gear and maybe the first 1/4 of the throttle MAX...

With the 50cc you were riding the gears and throttle like it was a liter bike on a race track, but you were just carving up this sweet twisty 2 lane road (REALLY twisty) at 25-40mph...

A blast...

The 250 would be similar yet would handle even better (modern) and still have real world power.

Cant go wrong with an SV though....

Unless you want to go really fast on a daily basis though, stay away from the I4's. I learned the hard way (buying one first, which was still a blast to ride) but am soooo happy now with the buell.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Wil,

I would agree with most people here in saying that the Ninja 250 might be a good place to start, maybe even the Ninja 500 or the Suzuki GS500.

However, in terms of your question about short riders on SVs, I think you would be fine. I have basically the exact physical stats as you've described and I have done no mods to my seat, or my bike that would make it lower than it was from the factory. I find when I wear normal street shoes, I am on my toes. As this can be uncomfortable for newer riders, simply get a decent set of riding boots, and you will be near flat footed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just an update:

I checked out a local SV for sale, and it was little too much bike. The ninja is more of a beginner friendly bike for me. I get a better feel and I'd rather take a safer approach to learning. So i'm a proud owner of an 08' Ninja250. For all those looking for an SV as a starter bike, I would highly recommend looking at a 250 first.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I am about to buy a new bike and am very close to purchasing an 07 sv650S. I have spent a lot of time thinking about 08+ 250 ninja vs. the sv. What it boiled down to for me was: anyone can kill themselves on any size bike if they ride like enough of an idiot. I have some previous riding experience and a feel comfortable enough to buy an sv.

However, I still think the 08 ninjas are awesome looking bikes and they get great reviews! I should stop reading about them or I might change my mind! haha. I hope you enjoy your new bike and I am glad you got what you will feel comfortable on. If you get the chance, post some pics up here, I would like to see your ninja.

Have fun!

-Brandon

·
Registered
997 Posts
Glad your happy with the 250! What color? Those 08's are sexy and with a pipe and a tune I hear they run REALLY nicely.

Its not for everybody but if you dont need to feel that torque and power (I for one would never give up the power of the buell, the R6 was to much but the buell is totally fun and usable around town or in the mountains)... The 250 will give you amazing handling though and will be a blast to ride anywhere except the straight away... Which is definetly the least fun part about riding the twisties!

I had no regrets starting with the R6 from the MB5, maybe it would've been a bit much to start but even my 50cc experience made me feel confident. Yeah the first time I sat on it I was scared $#[email protected] by the power and sensitivity in 1st gear but after a week it just felt like the MB5, only faster and I didnt shift at 10mph :).

·
Registered
997 Posts
Oh and event horizon... what previous experience do you have?

If you are careful I dont think you will have any problems, the SV is a huge difference from the 250 though. The 250 is sedate but still has some umph, the SV will flip right out from beneath you if your not careful, just remember, the clutch is your connection to the motor. Pull it in if things go south, dont let go of it ;).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Not trying to hijack the thread but I have ridden my brothers 250 rebel, an 80s Shadow 750, new vtx 1800, and a 2003 v-rod. None for really long rides, but enough to get the feeling of a big powerful bike (vrod is faster and heavier and has a more touchy clutch than the SV). After riding them and feeling pretty comfortable, I feel pretty comfortable in being able to ride the sv safely and intelligently.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Glad your happy with the 250! What color? Those 08's are sexy and with a pipe and a tune I hear they run REALLY nicely.

Its not for everybody but if you dont need to feel that torque and power (I for one would never give up the power of the buell, the R6 was to much but the buell is totally fun and usable around town or in the mountains)... The 250 will give you amazing handling though and will be a blast to ride anywhere except the straight away... Which is definetly the least fun part about riding the twisties!

I had no regrets starting with the R6 from the MB5, maybe it would've been a bit much to start but even my 50cc experience made me feel confident. Yeah the first time I sat on it I was scared $#[email protected] by the power and sensitivity in 1st gear but after a week it just felt like the MB5, only faster and I didnt shift at 10mph :).

I purchased a blue 250;D. It might look weird with my Yellow/white textile jacket though. I've already got a couple mods on the way... shogun crash kit. A couple of my friends have an r6. They both say that the aggressive riding position makes it uncomfortable to ride for long periods. However, it is a sexy bike. My goals are to learn to ride proficiently for a couple seasons then upgrade to a SV or 650r.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Nice! Thats the color I was looking into when I wanted the 250! Great color...

And yeah it can be, there are many people though that have good body positioning and make it work for VERY long rides. And yeah the R6 was not a very comfortable bike for me. I love the buell now, very neutral position, spines nice and aligned, no more squeezing the tank to hold myself up. I do however find myself wanting a slightly different position, a bit more forward, for riding in the twisties. I am going to be putting Pro Taper Carmichael bars on it (dirt bike bars) which will bring me more forward but still nothing like clip ons. Also are much wider then stock bars for more leverage :).

Enjoy the 250! I never got a chance to ride one, still would love to at some point.

And yeah you may want to upgrade to an SV or 650R, personally I'd try and upgrade to something that stock has better components (suspension) but thats all up to you, obviously as you know from this group its fairly common and easy to upgrade the SV suspension.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So far the 250 has been a blast to ride however after owning the bike for 3 months, I already have an itch to upgrade to something bigger. I completely understand why so many ppl recommend starting small.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts